Saturday, March 05, 2011

Changing Positions

I woke up this morning feeling the normal pain of the stiffness in my lower back. Nothing unusual in that because that's what sometimes is responsible for actually waking me up many mornings.

But today, I discovered I had an added feature giving me just a tad bit more pain than the usual wake-up stuff.

This morning I had a cramp in my foot -from the heel across the arch and up to the big toe on my left foot.

Anyone else get cramps in their feet like that? I remember when I was a kid, my Grandma would often wake up in the middle of the night from cramps in her feet like that and she'd be up, sitting on the side of her bed, rubbing her foot in a meager, usually fruitless effort to get the feeling there to return to normal so she could go back to sleep.

I did finally manage to get that cramp eased up enough that I could stumble and limp into the living room and grab my trusty little bottle of Ben-Gay stuff and apply some of that very liberally to the bottom of my foot and pray for some good, fast results. I'm happy to say that within about five minutes, the cramp did ebb out and I was able to walk again without limping from the pain.

But the darned back thing really bugs me. My one cousin has been telling me how he has almost completely cured all his back and sleep issue problems since he and his wife bought a nice orthopedic mattress and he keeps telling me if I were to invest in one of those I two would eliminate all the back issues I currently have to deal with.

Much as I'd love to do just that, I think at the rate I'd be going in order to save enough money to purchase one of those puppies, I'd probably be able to spring for it about the time I croak then too.

Time to buy some more lottery tickets I guess.

2 comments:

Maggie May said...

I get cramp too and it is a terrible pain, isn't it? My son also gets it and has been recently given some quinine tablets from the doctor and he says this has helped no end and he hasn't had it since.
I think the mattress mightn't be the answer and look at all the money you would have wasted.
Keep doing the lottery because I got £3 this week! Not enough to buy the mattress! LOL!
Maggie X

Nuts in May

terri said...

I deal with back pain off and on and am usually able to manage it with regular exercise and such. But for the past three weeks, I've had constant lower back pain and I can't seem to shake it. I've thought about getting a new mattress too. A lot of people say those Sleep Number mattresses are the ticket. I just can't imagine spending that kind of money on a mattress though. Guess we'll have to see how desperate I get. Maybe they have a payment plan ;-)