Friday, November 24, 2006

A Present From My Granddaughter

Today was my first day since before the surgery of watching both kids for the entire day - alone. My daughter (Mandy) wanted very much to do the "Black Friday" shopping thing with her sister, two of her sister's girl friends and the daughter of one of those folks but she was concerned about having the regular sitter watch them due to that age-old factor - economics!

So I told her not to worry, I could handle them. And, I did - no problems either as both the little ones really seemed to be on their best behavior today -or at least fairly close to that.

The exception being something my granddaughter did to me that ranks fairly close to the time my son at about the age Maya is now had pulled every box of cereal out of the cupboard, dumped them all on the floor - including the oatmeal as the top layer of cereal but had then added a bottle of maple syrup on top of the oatmeal -just for effect I suppose! As I told a friend today, when I was reiterating my son's actions to him today, that was the day my son came very, very close to becoming a member of the "endangered species" list. He may have made that list had it not dawned on me that Pennsylvania had the death penalty then and sitting in the electric chair had never been on of my list of things I wanted to try out either!

Miss Maya had eaten her lunch - a plate full of penne pasta with a spaghetti and meat sauce on it and had followed that with a half-piece of pumpkin pie. The pie had gone down very nicely and I offered her the other half of the piece, which she seemed to have scarfed up in record time too.

So, I went to take her out of the high chair only to discover that somehow she had turned herself in the high chair and was able to grab an ashtray her mother had on the island behind the high chair and had pulled the ashtray over to the high chair tray and dumped the ashes in it onto the tray! Then, she made her own brand of finger paints by smearing the ashes into some of the sauce that she had also smeared on the tray and finger painted this combo around the top of the tray to do a spectacular "paint" job of sorts, you cold say.

Needless to say, I was not very impressed with her artistic talents. Her hands looked like she had been working for several hours in a coal mine and she even had a little black ring, tinged around the edges with the red from the spaghetti sauce around her mouth as well. Yep, she looked lovely, indeed she did!

Oh well, it did all wash off fairly easily but sure did look ugly as sin!

3 comments:

Shelby said...

hope the surgery went well - happy Saturday!

Gene Bach said...

I very much enjoyed your post...especially the part about the endangered species list. LOL! I have added a link to your blog on mine. If you would, check over my blog and see if you would like to add a link to it on yours? Thank you.

Keep up the good work.

Gene
http://sweatysocks2.blogspot.com/

Gene Bach said...

I very much enjoyed your post...especially the part about the endangered species list. LOL! I have added a link to your blog on mine. If you would, check over my blog and see if you would like to add a link to it on yours? Thank you.

Keep up the good work.

Gene
http://sweatysocks2.blogspot.com/