Sunday, November 26, 2006

Give Me The Knitting Needle (and no one will be hurt)

Remember a few blogs back where I mentioned I like to knit? Well, did I bother to mention one thing I hate to do with knitting projects is fix errors. And, I especially don't like to deal with a whole row of errors either. And, that is pretty much what I had to do tonight!

I was cooking supper and had stuff going on the stove that didn't need to be attended to it by standing over it, stirring constantly, so decided I would sit back and knit a bit - work on a sweater project I started about a week or two ago. I have the back done and am working on the front - only had six more rows to do in the stockingette stitch before I would be able to begin my neckline decreases. Yea! I was making good progress - for me, anyway.

Well, the buzzer went off in the kitchen so I put my knitting - in progress - down on the end table and giving it no further thought, headed to the stove. I wasn't out there any more than five minutes when here comes my sweet little granddaughter, Miss Maya (age 3), handing me not one knitting needle, but both of them! And, of course, there was no yarn attached to either one, I must add.

Well, that immediately struck fear into my old heart! I could feel the beats quickening as I yelled at the kid "OH NO!" And, of course, at that, she off and running with the needles in hand.

Her dad jumped up - as did her 15-year-old sister - both who had been seated in the living room in full viewing range of where my knitting project had been left on the end table and neither of them was aware that the little munchkin had just done a major no-no to the sweater I'm making. Hopefully, it will be for her to boot! (But granted she's too little to give a rat's you know what about old Grammie slaving away in her blindness, trying to make a pretty little pullover just for her sweet little angel!)

After supper, when I had calmed down adequately, I picked up the knitting to see how much damage had been done. Went through and put the stitches back on the needle and fortunately only about 4, maybe 5 of them had begun to unravel to the row below so I was able to correct for that potential for dropped stitch damage then quite easily enough.

Let that be a lesson to me for future knitting or crochet projects now too - nothing is safe or sacred to a three-year-old! Always put things like that up and away, well out of reach of little inquiring minds and sticky fingers.

And, in the process, make damned sure you remember where the hell you hid the project then too!

1 comment:

Mike said...

Little ones can be quite curious about things. I always try not to get mad at them because they don't know any better when they are that small. I love watching them learn though.