Tuesday, November 28, 2006

I'm late, It's Late! (Missed a very important date!)

Ok, as those who have been following my blog somewhat religiously have no doubt realized, I didn't have a posting come up here anytime this morning, or this afternoon either and here it is now, about 7:30 p.m. and I'm finally getting down to the business I should have taken care of first thing this morning with that eye-opener cup of coffee.

I feel like I have been a bit like the Mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland - isn't he the character who runs around all the time, crying "I'm late, I'm late, for a very important date!" (Or do I have my characters mixed up - been a long, long, very LONG time since I last read that book, folks!)

But trust me folks, I have some very good reasons as to why I am running this late today.

First off, although I did get up quite early (well, early for me, by my standards but to my ex-husband's - well, I'd still have been considered a late riser), was up at 7:15 this morning. Yes indeedy! Bright and early, chipper - ok, I am NEVER chipper first thing in the morning before my first cup of coffee and often the chipper doesn't begin to set in until I have polished off damned near a whole pot of that wonderful stuff! Heck, some days the "chipper" bit never sets in!

But, this morning, I had no time to play around with my blog because I had to be ready to roll out the door by 10 a.m. to go see my regular doctor for a "general occasion" type check-up. Then, after leaving her office, had to go to Wal-mart and get a prescription filled, pick up a few odds and ends we needed and be back home by 2 p.m.

Tuesday is the day the visiting nurse from Home Health Services comes - this one is the "Wound" nurse who checks out my stoma, tries her best to explain -again- how to prepare the barrier to get it to fit just right, etc., and get me set for the coming week then to care for it. However, this nurse has no set time on Tuesday that she shows up, so yesterday, when I was reminded by a phone call from the dr's office about this appointment - which, of course, I had forgotten I had - I had tried to call the nurse's office to get them to have her call me or to at least leave a message for her that I wouldn't be at home till probably 2 p.m. and for her to call me then to let me know when she would be arriving.

Well, Mandy, the kids and I got home about 1:45 and within 5 minutes after our arrival, the phone rang - but it was for Mandy. A fairly long-winded call it was too while I was chomping at the bit worrying about my nurse gonna call ya know. Then within less than a minute after Mandy hung up from the first call, boom - she gets another call, also another one that was a tad on the long-winded side.

So, while I was waiting, I figured I would log online, check my e-mail, get a few things cleaned out there and all would be fine in my little corner of the world.

WRONG!

The best laid plans of mice and men saying comes to mind here. Wouldn't you just know it but my connection to the internet refused to let me connect. And not just once or twice but for almost 2 hours! In those two hours though, as I tried to get my connection to do its thing, I ended up being very fortunate to have to call the provider twice to try to get my connectivity issues corrected. Don't you just love Peoplepc.com? I only love their price for my connection! Well, I did sort of love the young lady on the other end of the line of my second call because she did help me to get connected to the REAL world - the INTERNET - ya know!

Ok, by this time it is after 4 p.m. by the time all almost 100 e-mail messages I had waiting got downloaded into my Eudora. Then I had to hurry and write an answer to two of those e-mail messages - like right away - so I combined them since they were to my cousins but one from each side of my family tree.

Now, it was also time for me to get cracking and get meat started to cook for supper. Then back to checking out the various messages in my e-mail, sort through the ones that I felt needed a response and deep 6 the rest after I had read them And as fast as I was reading a message, dumping some, etc, considering how prolific this group is that I belong to - The Writer's Life - there would be at least three sometimes more, messages coming in. This thing was taking on a life of its own - spreading like wildfire you know! It was all I could do to finally have things pretty well cleaned out of my inbox and answered by 6 p.m.

Then, it was time to get the veggies fixed and by 7 p.m., the girls and I sat down to eat supper. Poor Bill, the son-in-law, was working late or working at his part-time job or doing something really important and was going to be late so he had to eat supper by himself when he finally did get home about 8 p.m.

So now you have it - my day from beginning to the end where I am now - sitting here explaining all of this "lateness"" on my part by using it as a topic for my blog!

Boy, I can be the crafty one at times, can't I when otherwise I might actually have been braindead for half the day today trying to think of something to write and tell everyone about that would show my sparkling wit and remarkable repartee!!!

Cheers and may none of us ever be late again!

3 comments:

masgblog said...

At least you got to post something. I did too, but later than you, AND I had writer's block.

In the end, something surfaced and I wrote something, and now am sleepy.

Busy week, busy season.

Berni said...

Wow you are busy, I consider myself busy if I have to go out twice in a week. I would have enjoyed WalMart though the nearest one is 350km or 210 miles away. Thanks for stopping by.

Shelby said...

get some rest! :)