Monday, November 13, 2006

Forgetfulness

Is anyone else here forgetful? We've all heard the old joke about going to the kitchen and by the time you get there, you forget what you went there for in the first place and there are times when that describes my memory, totally!

Anything in the short term variety is subject to flying through my head and not touching base anywhere to make me able to remember it in the near future.

But, things that happened 30, 40 - even 50 years plus ago, quite often I can remember them vividly.

Last week, all week long, I had been thinking about two birthdays - one on November 10th and the other on November 11th - and I had planned to write a nice little note to each one celebrating a birthday on those days. But, as my memory is wont to do, the idea flew away and I forgot about doing that till today. The birthdays I mentioned are for my cousins, Becky and Sue, who are sisters and Beck's day is the 10th, same date as was my Mom's birthday, and Sue was born on the 11th.

I got a note back today from Beck after I sent her a little birthday comment via e-mail saying she was amazed that I remembered her birthday. Yep, kid - I remember the birthdates of all my first cousins on my Mom's side of the family, along with the birthdates of all my Mom's siblings too, as well as our grandparents! I used to know when some of the great-grandkids in the family were born as well but since that is fairly recent history, it stands to reason I have forgotten that information now. I can always cheat though and look up most of that information on my family tree document!

I didn't realize till I logged into my blog today that I had neglected to post anything on Saturday or Sunday. Not because I was ultra busy or anything, I just forgot. Again, that little memory thing comes into play, huh?

I was busy though over the weekend, working on my research in the old Progress newspapers online through the Ancestry.com database. I managed to finish up working on the 1962 and 1963 papers last night and started working now on the 1964 issues. Only 13 more years worth of papers to comb through! Hope I live long enough or don't go totally blind in the process to finish this project!

Yesterday, Mandy and the two little ones and I went to Dubois as she had an appointment at the K-mart there to have photos done of the kids. The photographer tried and tried to keep Maya's attention so get several proofs for us to choose from but was only able to keep her occupied long enough to get two pictures done. Fortunately, they were both ok so Mandy did get to select one that is really nice. She also had some pictures done too of Kurtis and chose one of them to get done up for extra Christmas gift type things. He is going to be the "Ham" there as he just loved posing for the photographer!

I'm now taking the new meds that are supposed to relieve nerve pain in the hopes this will attack the nerves under attack from the damned shingles I have been dealing with for the past 2 1/2 months now. It is called NEUROTONTIN - and I hope this stuff finally kicks into gear and does some good cause I am really, REALLY tired of this plague called the shingles!

Now, to get rid of the head cold I've been fighting for the past week and all will be fine with me!

2 comments:

Mike said...

I can't remember alot of things. I am thankful I have Barb here to remind me of the grandkids birhtdays. Some of my grandkids are little "Hams" when it comes to pictures also. Glad you got to spend time with them.

Mike said...

For you to get a sitemeter.

OK. First you have to go to www.sitemeter.com and sigh up. You can do this for free. After signing in, you pick the meter you want, then there should be a place on the page to copy the HTML for it.

Copy it(highlight all the code then right click and hit "copy")

Go to your blog. Sign in, then go to "customize" in the upper right.
That will take you to the page that has your blog layout. Find a small box on the right side called "add a page element" and click it. Then when that comes up, find the area called HTML/Javascript.

When that comes up it will have a small box called "title" where you can just put sitemeter if you want( its whatever you want to name your meter you just got), or you can leave it blank if you want.Then, in the big box called "content" you just paste the HTML code you got from the sitemeter place. Just click in it then right click and hit "paste".

After you have pasted the code, hit "save changes" .

If you are happy with the place it went you can just leave it.

If you want it in a different place, you will need to go into the "customize area again, then just find which HTML/Javescript it is and use your left mouse button and hold it, then drag it into the spot you want it in.

There are 2 areas that have the add a page element in it by the way. On e on the top of the sidebar and one just below it, you can choose where you want it to go.

I hope this will help you get your sitemeter into your blog. Thanks for stopping by my blog.