Thursday, December 29, 2011

Easing Up

Yep, your read that title correctly. I do believe things are going to go a little easier around here in the near future now.

Not that I think this smoking cessation thing is going to be a walk in the park cause I haven't actually "Quit" yet -not in the true sense of the word. But I have made some good strides, if that means anything. Like today -okay, so I had Mandy pick up a pack of smokes for me when she was in town tonight but still and all, I only went through a total of 10 cigarettes today! That's only a half a pack in a day and that's ten fewer cigarettes than I had yesterday, which was about 20 cigarettes fewer than I was going through about 2 weeks ago too. So doesn't that count as some sort of progress.

Well, it does in my book anyway!

I've been doing something else this week too that I haven't done much of in quite some time as well. Can you guess what that might be?

If you've been reading my posts over the past couple days, you know I read a book on Monday -the one Mandy got me for Christmas. Well, yesterday I started to read (finally) the book my best friend gave me back in October for my birthday -"Black Hills" by Nora Roberts. And tonight, I finished that puppy! I enjoyed every last line of that story too.

Now, I'm thinking while I'm on a roll with respect to the reading, perhaps I should launch an attack on the stack of books out in my room that have been there for going on two years now and I haven't taken the time out to stop and even look inside them, much less read them! Ignoring good books on hand just waiting to be read was never my method of operation and I think it's high time that I get back into a little more normal vein.

To be truthful, the past two weeks all I really wanted to do was sleep -and then, sleep some more. Just couldn't seem to keep my eyes open much of the time. I don't know if it was that I was THAT exhausted, certainly not from any hard physical labor or anything, or if it may have been my body getting accustomed to the meds I was taking in addition to my normal pills for blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol control. Just before I began to take the Chantix (smoking cessation stuff ya know) my doctor had also given me an anti-depressant to take as she said sometimes the Chantix can cause problems with depression and that's something I've often had to deal with in the past so, track record taken into consideration, anti-depressants were on the agenda. And, sometimes they can make a person a bit tired early on, ya know.

But anyway, aside from the furnace running out of fuel and our doing some scrambling to scrounge funds to cover getting a delivery tomorrow, the house is far from warm tonight but it's a darn sight warmer that it was earlier today. Thanks to Kurt's TSS, Miss Dawn, who was concerned about us maybe freezing here, and she went to her home and returned with her own personal quasi-Edenpure heater for us to use till our fuel oil arrives! Gives us a chance to try something like this out too and see if it might not be a good investment for us to cut back on the fuel usage, perhaps, a bit. Worth a try to see if it would help much in that arena.

So now, I'm gonna head off to dreamland in the room that has NO HEAT but my own little furnace is out there sleeping away now and will have that bed all nice and toasty-warm for me to climb in there with her. I told her when she came back home today how much I missed not having my bed buddy here for the past two nights as I had no one to warm my toes up for me! Grandchildren serve many purposes, ya know!

Pleasant dreams to you too!

3 comments:

Suldog said...

Jeni, that's great progress (and that comes from someone who knows how difficult it can be.) It appears, if I'm reading correctly, that you've cut your intake to about 1/4 of what it once was. Keep that up, girl!

CiCi said...

Good for you, Jeni. It does indeed sound like you are cutting down on the amount of cigarettes you are smoking. I know you can do it, you can get to the point that you no longer smoke. You lungs will thank you and your grandkids lungs will too.

terri said...

Way to go! That's all you can do. Just take it day by day and cut back little by little. It's a tough habit to kick, that's for sure! But you can do it!