Saturday, December 03, 2011

By Comparison?

Okay, so here it is, early Saturday afternoon, and just Maya and me here in the house. Quiet time, I think, and a good time perhaps for me to be able to sit and concentrate on the satin stitching (lots and lots of it) that I have yet to do to finish the tabletopper I'm working on now.

Seemed like a decent enough idea, a plan, for me.

However, about the time I started to stitch, Maya decided to have one of her whackadoodle obsessive rants!

This one came about as Mandy was driving up the road to take the teenager home, who was here this a.m. to try to keep the two little ones calm and prevent them from doing any mayhem to each other or the house.

Anyway, Maya plopped herself down on the sofa and began to twirl the largish pink plastic heart-shaped ring she had on her index finger around and began to wail and moan -in a voice that I supposed could be compared to the sounds made by Irish women, keening, at an Irish wake -maybe not quite as loud in Maya's case, but on a wave length that was definitely very annoying.

Occasionally, she would toss in a statement or two about the dire consequences that were now about to happen all because Mommy left already with Keeley and Maya didn't have a chance then to give Keeley this pink heart ring and wah, wah, wail, wail and moan some more, it is truly the end of the world as Maya sees it!

To say that I understand the whys and what-fors of Maya's obsession when they surface -such as this one today -would be akin to my saying and your believing that I know what an Asus Eee Pad is and what all one can do with such things. Fact of that matter is I haven't a clue -on what that item really is and can do nor do I have a clue as to what to offer to Maya to redirect her right now.

I will say this much with respect to Maya -these little spells or spats come on totally out of the blue so they tend to catch a person completely off-guard. Forewarned is forearmed, ya know, and had I but known the least thing about her wishes prior to Keeley's departure, you can bet your bottom dollar I'd have tried to get this set up so as to avert this issue!

But now, since she has subsequently found something -finally -on her own to occupy her time and mind and the mourning period, at least for the time being anyway, has ended, for that I am really and truly thankful!

Thirty to forty minutes of her whining, bemoaning, wailing and such (all with nary a tear either) is more than long enough to just about drive me to drink!

But since peace has -for now -been restored and I can return to my recliner, to my tabletopper, to stitching and listening off and on to the droning of some Christmas-type movie on the Hallmark Channel to kind of aid me in telling what time it is, that's what I'm gonna do now! The quiet will end soon enough when Mandy and Kurtis return home so I'd best take advantage of this now while I can!

7 comments:

CiCi said...

We do need some quiet time. We are starting a group at the senior center for people who like to crochet, knit, embroider, etc. The new group will start in January, once a week. I am looking forward to that.

Dianne said...

I've been watching all those Hallmark movies, they cleanse the mind ;)

Hope will suddenly go off on a top of mind rant
the other day she asked if I could cut her cucumber slices into triangles
I said I would do one and the rest would be circles and she said OK and then launched into a tirade about how she didn't like Santa and she didn't have to say hello to him if she didn't want to

Maggie May said...

You certainly need to keep yourself occupied with some soothing activity if you have to listen to a whining child!
Glad peace was restored after quite a long time of putting up with it.
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Jocelyn said...

Our neighbor girl can go on for HOURS once she gets started, so, um, count yourself lucky that it's just 40 minutes... Sounds like you weathered it reasonably well.

terri said...

Sounds like Maya would have been much happier had Keely just stayed on indefinitely.

Sandi McBride said...

Ah, sweet peace and quiet, my Christmas wish for you Jeni...glad the banshee wailing came to a halt!
hugs
Sandi

Kat said...

Oh man. So much for plans. Kids have a way of derailing plans just like that, don't they?
So glad it did let up, however. And hope you had a nice long stretch of peace and quiet! :)