Thursday, May 20, 2010

A Little Success -Better Than No Success!

I know I've done lots of posts lately about me and my little dog -good old Sammy -and our walks together, haven't I?

Do you remember though why I started this routine with him?

It's not just to get him out of the house and avoiding accidents that mean extra clean-ups -although that has some bearing on our walks. But it's also a means to give me some very badly needed exercise which is something I've been really, really, REALLY lax about getting for a long, long time now.

It's also because, in conjunction with that exercise my family doctor had told me back in December that I needed to pay a lot more attention to what I eat and thus, try to keep my cholesterol down as well as my blood sugar levels.

She suggested dieting.

And to me, dieting is a really dirty word!

Why? Well mainly because I can never seem to find any diets that work -or at least that I can possibly adhere to and then give them half a chance of working, ya know.

I'm not going to lie to you and tell you that I found some spectacular diet that was easy to work with and that I've lost oodles and oodles of pounds now from following it. Nope. Because I haven't done all that much with respect to the actual "dieting" thing except I have tried to cut back on the amounts I eat and also, to try to avoid desserts, cookies, cakes, pies and other snack type foods that I would have an urge to overeat those things.

My walks around town with Sammy pulling me this way and that way, trying to jerk my arm out of the socket too at times it has seemed, have been the main tool though I have been relying on and I consider this to be pretty darned good -for me anyway -because I have lost 15 pounds now since mid-December -which works out to roughly three pounds a month!

Nothing stellar but it's been slow loss and rather steady too and I'm happy with those numbers as well.

Plus, I have really been enjoying the fresh air, seeing the sights around the village, out in the woods, exploring the nearby ghost town with my older grandson (Alex) one afternoon and yes, even picking up a friendly tick along the way who apparently wanted to hitch-hike up to civilization using my body as his conveyance too!

I'd recommend this method to anyone who is able to walk -whether it be fast, power walking or slow, easy-going strolls - or anything in between -as the nicest way to shed a few pounds of fat!

7 comments:

Travis Cody said...

No matter what anyone says, most "diets" don't really work because they don't help you create the healthy eating and exercise habits that are right for you as an individual. If a diet is full of foods you don't care for and the exercises are things you struggle doing, you're not going to stick with it.

If you enjoy walking with Sammy, then there's your exercise. The next task is to find yourself a healthy menu full of foods you like, and learn how to combine them so that you get plenty of the right kind of nutrition.

If you like the foods that are nutritional and healthy, then "dieting" isn't such a chore and you don't feel unsatisfied or like you need to "cheat".

CiCi said...

You're right. Dieting is a dirty word. Going for a walk to get some exercise is always a good thing for us as we get older, keeps the joints moving freely so we can walk to the frig faster!

... Paige said...

That is awesome! and the best way to drop a few pounds.

Found out today I have not gained any in almost a year and that too is a good thang

Sandee said...

Walking is indeed a great way to shed a few pounds. I found that taking sugar out of my diet helped a lot too. No sodas, or any sweets. Fresh fruit only. Works for me.

Have a great day. My best to Sammy. :)

fermicat said...

I don't think walking the cats would be the same kind of experience...

Maggie May said...

Dieting IS a dirty word.

I have put on too much weight over these last months of sitting down a lot.

I think walking is an excellent way of losing weight.
trouble is...... sometimes you work up an appetite!
Vicious circle!
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Berni said...

Congratulations Jenny that is fantastic.