Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Fun Reruns!

Some days, the meltdowns around here can be quite the sight to behold.

Some of them can be so super frustrating as you work to try to redirect the child, try to get some breathing room for yourself as well as for the child.

Some days, you win and others -well those you just try not to remember.

I didn't go to sleep till around 5:30 this morning -in the recliner again -which often seems to offer the most comfort for my back, especially when the day is like today -cold, rainy and miserable -all of which tends to fire up the old arthritis in my lower back.

I didn't hear Mandy getting Maya ready for school this morning so things must have been going fairly smoothly at that point in time. But I woke up briefly after she came back in the house from getting Maya on her special bus that she rides and overheard Mandy telling Bill that she'd just had a meltdown when it came time to board the bus.

I dozed off again but when I woke up a little later I asked Mandy what had happened pertaining to her meltdown and she said that yesterday, Maya's class had all gone on a field trip and that in doing so, the whole class had ridden on one of the big, regular school buses so now, this morning, at the very last minute of course, Maya had decided that she didn't want to ride the little bus anymore, beginning today, and had gone into a meltdown then -in the rain too -about this. Mandy said she was having a hissy fit big time, claiming she should ride the big bus with the other kids and that she wasn't afraid to ride the big bus either.

It took some doing but finally Mandy got her on the bus -telling her it was too late to change buses for the rest of this year but come next year, when she goes to first grade, she can ride the big bus then.

Mandy wasn't too pleased with the scene this morning but after she finished telling me about it all, I had to snicker to myself a bit.

It all reminded me of how when my kids were growing up and when they really, really frustrated me, I used to tell them that my biggest wish, my prayer really, was that someday they would each marry and have children and that their children would do the same to them as they were doing then to me.

I hesitated very briefly but then decided to live dangerously and made a comment to Mandy.

"Isn't is just so much fun to argue with yourself, to revisit your past this way?"

And with that, Mandy flipped me off and I figured it was time to go sit down and savor the moment.

Deja vu! A darned nice thing at times, you know!

7 comments:

Sandee said...

I can relate to this post. I so remember thinking the same thing and when my son had his two kids he'd often tell me how difficult it was at times. Oh really would be my response. I've done a lot of savoring over the past 18 years.

Have a terrific day. :)

CiCi said...

Good thing you two are on good enough terms that you can say what you really feel and she is okay with flipping you off. You two are funny. And real.

Linda said...

Isn't there some sort of saying somewhere about grandchildren being the best form of revenge? Naturally I can't remember it right off of the top of my head as most days I don't even remember I have a top of my head!

At least Maya eventually got on the bus - imagine if your daughter hadn't been able to calm her down at all!

Maggie May said...

It is satisfying, isn't it?
In fact my own children have said to me that they fully understood my being frustrated by them when they were children, now that they have children and they are suffering the same kind of things. :-)
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Diva's Thoughts said...

LOL....I love it.

Anonymous said...

You are soooooooo lucky you live with me Granny! LOL!

Suldog said...

I had someone tell me that once, about having kids who would act like I did, and I decided then and there to never have kids :-)