Thursday, February 09, 2012

Photogenic?

I've mentioned a lot of late about how derelict I had become about keeping up with my walking program but have been trying to get myself back on track with it, at least a little bit whenever I can.

Last Thursday, it was snowing here like crazy but looked so pretty that I bundled up, got Sammy's leash and away we went for a walk down the road and back. Not a far piece for sure -only about 2/3 of a mile, round trip -but it was one of the most enjoyable walks I've had in a long, long time.

The snow was just lovely -picture perfect -and the temperature was just right too. It was cold of course -after all, it was snowing hard ya know -but there was no wind so no mega wind chill factors to freeze a body out. Walking along our road, in that fresh snowfall that didn't even have much in the way of tire trackage on it, was so lovely, peaceful and calming.

Yesterday, we had snow again and like last week, it was a nice soft snowfall, no wind and the temperature was very pleasant to do a walk about out in the weather. Sammy and I enjoyed our stroll very much.

I took my camera with me yesterday though because last week, while walking in the fresh snow, I found myself wishing I'd brought the camera along.

Here's some of the pictures I took yesterday and these were the ones I mentioned in an earlier post that I was fighting with the computer to get them off the camera and over to the computer. I finally did find them so without further words that might lead me to begin grumbling again about the computer, I'll share them with you. (NOTE: I am not a photographer, not by a long shot! These are just some things along our walk that I thought were pretty to my eyes at least.)

The untouched road here -going towards Peale -with the snow looking so pure -always reminds me of Robert Frost's beautiful poem. Can't you imagine this road, these woods, over 100 years ago when Peale was populated and people trudging along in the snow -men carrying lunch pails and miner's headlamps -on their way home from another long, hard day in the mines?
Trees, all decorated in snow, always appeal to me. Two to three months from now, those trees will be sprouting leaves and getting ready to blossom forth for another spring-to-summer session.
This is one of the apple trees along that road to Peale -one that Mandy and I raided on several occasions and which provided us with a lot of applesauce that I made and froze as well as several jars of apple butter that Mandy made and canned! Maybe these could be called "Winter apples" huh? (Hope they produce as many apples this year as they did in 2011!
Okay, so what if this does look like a Christmassy decoration? I just thought the basket of decorations hanging on my neighbor's front steps entrance was so pretty with the green holder and the greens and red poinsettias. So what if they aren't "for real" flowers -the colors are so pretty encased in that lovely snow, don't 'cha think?
And finally, here's a shot of the hedges with their red berries all covered over with a blanket of freshly fallen snow.  Truthfully, I do love this picture even though I always hated those kind of hedges when we used to have them in front of the house and along the side of the house here too.

But the white on the red -to me -just so very pretty! Makes up for all the prickly thorns I used to end up with in my fingers and feet when I was a kid -all from those kind of hedges!

1 comment:

Maggie May said...

I must admit the snow does make lovely photos, especially when it hasn't been touched like the lane in the photo. If only it wasn't so treacherous to walk on when it turns icy!
Maggie X

Nuts in May