Friday, February 03, 2012

Packrats!

My kids like to tell me -frequently -that I am a packrat and if things keep up, they think I am probably on my way to becoming a hoarder.


Well, I have to confess that I am somewhat of a packrat but only about certain things -mainly yarn, fabric, patterns and embroidery kits and floss. And also, that I do have the majority of my packrat type items packed up in fairly large plastic totes too.

This past week, Mandy was on a cleaning binge -trying to get many things cleaned up and packed up or pitched out. A good move, on her part and I give her credit for that.

But she's gonna soon have to make some decisions about all the myriad of papers that creep into the house on almost a daily basis via each of the grandkids backpacks. You know, all those drawings that are so cute but difficult to interpret much of the time or homework papers with grades on them that make you proud to see but if you're going to save all that stuff, then you'd better be investing -soon -in a tote to store that stuff in too!

I think the only things I have saved over the years from my kids early school days are a couple of little Christmas ornaments made by this or that child on occasion. I'm truly thankful though that none of my kids were into sports and by that, were not awarded bunches of sports trophies that you just know I would have been compelled to save for posterity!

I have more than enough memorabilia in the form of little cups and saucers, little plates, larger plates, special glasses and such, all stashed in my china cabinet along with several other pieces that had belonged to my Mom, my Grandma and probably a few other relatives here and there too!

The last thing I need here is more of that kinds of stuff, ya know.

Now, with Maya and Kurt both having signed up to learn to play soccer in an after-school program, it almost has me hoping that they are just your run-of-the-mill type players, not majorly athletic ya know, so that way, we won't ever have to worry about more stuff to try to store!

6 comments:

Bud said...

We have a cabinet full of soccer and dance trophies, as well as a closet full of my daughter's high school dance costumes. I also occasionally come across a bow of school papers hidden away in the garage, so we're packrats, too.

Maggie May said...

I think I'm a hopeless packrat too.
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Rick Rockhill said...

I allow myself two junk drawers at all times. And periodically my closet gets a little piled up. But beyond that I try to purge the junk at least once a quarter!

CiCi said...

I can understand your being a packrat as you have lived in the one place for many years. For me, I moved so many times in my life and each time presented the opportunity to get rid of more stuff. Now I am down to a reasonable amount and trying to look for things to put out for the town's community yard sale this coming June. I have a box in the garage marked "yard sale" and a few more items so far. When my husband left, he took what he wanted so the kitchen cupboards were half empty so yesterday I rearranged the cupboards and found some things to put in the garage for the yard sale. Things are moving along just fine here. Hope your grandkids enjoy playing sports and learning to play in a team.

terri said...

Don't get your hopes up! These days, if a team doesn't win the first, second or third place trophies, they get a participation trophy!

Sandi McBride said...

I always had a rule about the cute stuff from school...when other cute stuff from school that hung on the fridge was in danger of being covered over, in the excess went to the middle drawer. Every three months, dump the drawer into the burn bin and Bob's your uncle, the problem is solved! No muss no fuss...and practically guilt free!
Hat's off to Mandy, tell her we're needing her here in South Carolina!!!
hugs
Sandi
ps
over here from the One Cat Shy of Crazy blog...like I needed another blog!