Thursday, September 11, 2008

Slow Down Mode

This week has been something else!

Monday morning, the little guy -Kurtis -had his tonsils and adenoids removed. The doctor had already set it up for him to stay in the hospital overnight so Mandy was geared to staying with him.

About 5 p.m. or so, she had called Carrie -her big sister, my older daughter -and because of the stress levels from being up AND AWAKE since about 4:30 in the morning and all, she was uptight, exhausted, etc., and began to cry while talking on the phone to her sister. Now Carrie can handle lots of things but hearing either her brother or sister talking on the phone, while in tears, that's a bit much for her to cope with so she phoned me and insisted we have to go over to the hospital as soon as possible.

To alleviate gas waste a bit, I suggested she come here, park her vehicle here and we would drive over then in my jeep. Ok, she agreed to that plan. So as soon as she arrived here early Monday evening, we headed off to Dubois to stay with Mandy and Kurt for a while.

Once over there, Carrie then decided that WE were both going to spend the night with Mandy and Kurtis! She figured by doing that, it would give Mandy a little opportunity to catch a little bit of sleep then. HOwever, as I explained to Carrie, I had to get back home because I had to be here in the morning to get Maya dressed and ready for school and the van pick-up. So, I came home Monday night -got back to the house around 12:30-1:00 a.m.

THe original plan with Carrie staying there had been that after Maya got on the van, I would come over and bring Carrie home plus, Kurt was expected to be discharged too, so then Mandy would be able to bring him home then as well.

However, things didn't quite work out the way they were supposed to and I ended up driving over and then Carrie decided that she would drive Mandy'x car to my house and leave from here then to go pick up her son as he had an orthodontist appointment Tuesday afternoon. I would then come home to be here in time for Maya to get home from school however, I was a little late in leaving the hospital, there is a lot of road construction ongoing in Dubois as well as an 8-miles stretch of Interstate 80 that is torn up, under construction, so my arrival at home was later than it should have been. Therefore, poor Fred, the van driver had been sitting at the house with Maya in the van, waiting patiently for my arrival. Fortunately, Mandy had called the school to tell them to tell Fred I was on the way home and would be late so he knew, at least, that I was enroute.

Kurt's first night home, initially looked to be on the easy side as he fell asleep very quickly around 11:30 p.m. and I went to bed shortly thereafter. However, he woke up around 2:30 a.m. and had Mandy up with him till after 5 a.m., when he finally went back to sleep but he only slept then for about 2-2 1/2 hours and was awake by 8 a.m. and very grouchy! Combination of his throat hurting and not getting the good night's sleep we had hoped for, is what I figured was going on with him.

Before Mandy left for work yesterday, we gave him a dose of his meds, then he accepted a raspberry bar (commercial product, very soft textured and he likes them -a bonus that it is something he likes, ya know) and by noon, he was askeeo - out like a light! He slept then till shortly after 3 p.m.

However, the nurse from the hospital as well as one from the doctor's office called and they were very concerned that he wasn't taking in near enough fluids and if his fluid intake didn't increase greatly, they said we were going to have to bring him back into the hospital so they could put him back on a IV.

As things stand right now, they are going to call here shortly after 1 p.m, today and speak to Mandy to get a bead on how much his intake/output has been in the past 24 hours and determine then whether we will have to take him back to the hospital for another brief (hopefully) stay! As it looks right now, they will probably want him back over there as he is supposed to be having an intake of about 40 ounces of liquid per day but I doubt he has even reached half that amount in the past day. He's so stubborn that when he decides he doesn't want something, no amount of cajoling will change his mind -unless the idea comes from within him -not us! So, I will be very surprised if the doctor doesn't tell Mandy to bring him over to the hospital this afternoon based solely on his fluid intake. The nurses were making suggestions to me yesterday to try giving him soup or ice cream, popsicles, etc., but he won't eat soup normally, doesn't deal with popsicles at all and rarely will he even eat ice cream as he doesn't like anything really cold -other than his milk! Go figure, huh? Who would have thought a 2 1/2 year old would refuse ice cream but Kurtis does!

So, as a result of all this, I have been really lax with reading blogs -am about two days worth behind right now, so will have to play catch-up ball big time by the looks of things. I've been working on my embroidery projects and got yet another table runner completed last night and started working on a 35x35 embroidered tablecloth. This one is straight embroidery -no cross stitch -and is a fairly involved piece -for me, anyway -but I managed last night to get about 2/3 of one corner done. Sometimes, when I get on a crafts kick, it is almost like I am bi-polar (probably am to some degree I guess) and I have to work on the craft stuff then when the mood hits me and I've really been bitten, big-time, by the embroidery urge right now! So for a while it looks like I'll be neglecting the blog and my readings to try to get myself in overdrive on the embroidery stuff so I can finish as many as possible, as quickly as possible. Before this current urge leaves me ya know! LOL

Just finished getting Maya ready for school and loaded into the van. As I was walking back down to the house, I saw Jorge -the Mama cat -cavorting around the front yard, tossing something up in the air and then catching it and realized she had been out playing "Jorge, the Huntress" and in that capacity, had nailed herself a little chipmunk. Wish I'd had the camera in hand as it would have made for a kind of cute video (in a groteseque sort of way) of her flipping this chipmunk every which way, then leaping in the air and pouncing on it again. Cats!

So now, while my little guy is sleeping again, I'm going to try to get some more work done on my newest crafty project. So far, it appears to be working up nicely -a very pretty floral on each corner of the piece, done on a pale green homespun-type fabric and already trimmed with very pretty crocheted lace. (I have two other clothes this size, this type of fabric -already lace trimmed, etc., waiting in the wings along with a red tablecloth to be done in white embroidery floss -Christmas trees and snowflake designs on it and in cross stitch, plus about 7-8 other table runners to do up too! Christmas is coming, ya know, and as slow as I tend to be about craft stuff normally, I figure I best strike while the old iron is hot here! That iron being my little fingers ya know!)

So I'll be around from time to time, trying to catch up slowly on the reading but concentrating more on the embroidery for a while. I have two assignments I have to fulfill as well so will have to figure out a way to incorporate them into a post as well. Gotta keep the little bits and pieces of extra money flowing in when I can too!

Just cross your fingers, say some prayers, that my fingertips hold up, my eyes don't betray me and go blind all of a sudden and especially that the little guy decides to start drinking his milk again! And make the last item there SOON, please!

2 comments:

Berni said...

Lots of stuff happening at your house. I hope Kurtis doesn't have to go back to hospital.

Sounds nice your embroidery. It appears that quite a few folks including myself are slowing down on blogging. Sometimes it is nice to take a quick glance at a blog via your reader but one doesn't have time to visit and comment on all. I have got quite lax in that, I suppose that will affect my blog readership somewhat but there is more to life than blogging.

terri said...

Poor Kurtis. This is so hard on him. My Jake was 6 years old when he had his tonsils out and it was a long road to recovery for him. He had such a hard time and he was even old enough to be reasoned with!

Hope Kurtis is feeling better soon!