Thursday, February 05, 2009

Where's The Fire?

About two weeks ago, a lady who is a member of an online group I belong to posted a message there about a fire that had occurred in her house. Somehow, water was coming into her laundry area and making contact with the wiring there.

Okay, water in a laundry area is to be expected, certainly. But we all know water and electricity is not a good combination, for sure. In her case, she was fortunate because her mother actually detected the smell of smoke and they were able to get out safely. But there was a great deal of damage to her laundry room as well as to her kitchen.

Now fires -in a house -that's something that scares the living daylights out of me! I know exactly the feelings that woman had that night -standing outside, watching the firemen do their jobs.

I know because back in April of 1991, my son managed to catch this house on fire!

I remember all too well, standing out on the street, in a cold spring drizzle, and worrying, wondering how much damage my house would sustain, how many things that held special memories for me might be lost too.

Sometime, I will have to post the story about everything that happened from the time the fire was discovered to when my kids and I were able to move back in as it was often rather a comedy of errors -or so it seemed at the time.

But one thing for sure that it instilled even further in me than had the preachings of my Mom and Grandparents which was to make darned sure that one has home owners or fire insurance.

My son-in-law put a wood burner in our basement last year as a means of trying to cut down on our fuel costs. A good idea, there -yes, it is. But it is also something that tends to make me very, very nervous too. I know too well how quickly a fire can start and one that might start in the basement, well that really puts me on edge.

Not that I think my son-in-law is careless or anything like that. It's just one of my own little private paranoias I suppose.

But regardless, I think it might also be wise to do a bit of research to make sure the coverage we have on the house is adequate. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get some insurance quotes to make sure about that, don't you think?

That, and make darned sure I know where my son is at all times too!

1 comment:

Casdok said...

Fires are scary. And can happen so easily.
Good idea to make sure you have the right coverage.