Tuesday, February 03, 2009

After the Meltdown

Remember in my post yesterday, I mentioned how Maya had a not so pretty meltdown when Mandy was leaving to go help her friend?

Well, after a good bit of talking to Maya, trying to calm her down, she finally started to respond fairly well, getting a bit quieter, no sobbing and screaming. I was thinking wow, this is good. She's learning how to deal a little bit better with these emotional things, right?

Well, she started to play with Kurtis but then, next thing you know, I hear a couple little tapping/thumping type noises, then Kurtis crying. I turned around just in time to see Maya "thumping" the poor little guy on the head!

No, it wasn't a bad thump, per se -just enough to get his attention and set him off a bit. And as soon as he started to wail, Maya turned into an almost angelic little creature -just as good as gold, nice as can be then.

Apparently she felt much better after taking her anger out on her little brother!

She spent the rest of the afternoon back and forth from the living room to the kitchen to the front porch entrance with me calling to her to come back into the living room. Mainly so I could see what -exactly -she was getting into. You know how it is with little kids -out of sight and quiet too -not exactly a great combination.

Well, about 3 p.m. -give or take a few minutes there -she came back into the living room, all decked out in her pink snow boots, a pair of Farmer Greenjeans type coveralls and a tee shirt, over which she had put on her pink rain poncho, her pink-blue-white fleece had pulled down over her ears and was trying to get her hands shoved into her thick pink mittens.

Hmmm. What the heck is this get-up all about?

So I asked her, what in blazes do you think your doing -or where do you think you are going?

Her response - "I hassa go outside and bring Chino in!"

Do what? Why do you think you have to go outside and bring the cat in? Is Chino outside?

"Yessss."

How the heck did the cat get outside anyway? Did you put the cat outside?

"Yessss -I did!"

Oh no! I went running to the front door -which was slightly ajar -opened it and called for the cat and thankfully, she was right there, near the door and came back inside immediately. I didn't see any other cats around -which I know doesn't mean there may not have been another one outside and I don't think Chino was outside long enough to "hook up" if there was another cat present but that too is something that can happen pretty doggone quickly! Considering some of the noises Chino was making one night last week, I'm guarding her like crazy as she may be going into heat and we haven't had her to the vet as yet to take care of that potential for expansion of the family here ya know!

So, for now, I suppose only time will tell if we have been able to be vigilant enough to ward off a litter of kittens before we can get her to the vet to get her fixed!

But in the mean time, here's some pictures of Maya in her lovely "Going outside to get Chino" getup yesterday.




Keep in mind, it was COLD here yesterday and this poncho is just a rain poncho -no lining, no warmth at all to it. But in her mind, it would do the trick to keep her warm if she went outside. I tried getting her to remove it and she began telling me then that no, no, she had to go outside and get Chino -this after I had got the cat back inside -reminded her of that and also that it was very cold outside to which she told me, "I wanna go outside and be chilly!"

It doesn't show up very well on these pictures but another added attraction on her was the fact that he had green paint smeared all over her chin too -residue from earlier in the day when she, Kurtis and Mandy's girlfriend's little boy were all busy painting on a big piece of paper spread all over the kitchen table.

Yep! She certainly was quite the fashion plate here now wasn't she?

12 comments:

The Daily Rant said...

Thanks for your comments - now I don't feel so odd for "almost" forgetting that date...

Love Maya's cat-catching gear. I would have been wearing the very same thing...I don't like to be hot when tackling chores...the rain poncho would have been enough!

Still cold in PA I'm guessing? I'll trade you - I'm in Phoenix! lol

Sandee said...

No you still aren't showing up. I even deleted you and then added you back and you still show your last post as August 11th.

Go here: http://www.google.com/support/reader/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=97875 to see if you can find out what is wrong. :)

Rune Eide said...

They have to start early in the fashion business! :-)

PS Thank you for the very pleasant comment! I'll try to do my best, but you'll have to expect the miss too ;-)

Anonymous said...

I did read this through. And I smiled here and there. We had five kids and they are as old as 52 and as young as 35 but we also got the 35 year old back with our granddaughter and sometimes, at 8, she is a pistol and loves to dress up and has a vocabulary even President Bush would envy. She is also a computer whizard. Times have changes a lot.

Mrs4444 said...

Terribly cute, yes :) I'm so glad you put up some pics, because while I was reading, I was thinking, "What? No pics!?" Little stinker! :)

Berni said...

Such cute stories about your family. I don't know where you find the energy, patience and good humour. I don't think I could do it. To have your family all around you though must be a blessing.

Jenn said...

Hey Jeni - Just stopping by to peek at your blog. I see you post on a lot of blogs I follow and wanted to say hey.

Great post. Want my two? LOL. Joking of course. Want a table saving tip? OK well your gonna get it anyway!

When the vynal table clothes go on sale after the holidays (like 5 for 3 bucks or something) get a bunch of the largest ones you can find. Then when it comes to art projects, spread it out on the floor and let them HAVE AT IT. ROll it up and throw it away when they are done. Quick and easy clean up and a VERY large workspace.

Great piece you wrote today, I really enjoyed it.

Jenn

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Hahahahahaha! Just picturing Maya made me laugh, which was good because I am having a very sad day.

Thank you so much for your sweet comment over at my place. you are a peach. ((Jeni))

Mary said...

Jeni,

Yeap! When these little humans get it in their heads that they're going to do something, they're going to do it no matter what. They are determined and very persistent.

Maya will overcome her emotional issues, I expect. Brandon does very well with disappointment at age 13. They learn and we learn from them. She is certainly a lady of fashion. hehe

Sorry I've missed a few posts. With everything that's been going on here, I just haven't had the time to visit all of my friends. Dakota is sleeping now so I'm taking advantage of it. I hope she also sleeps tonight.

Take care and enjoy your little ones.
Blessings,
Mary

Blessings,
Mary

Morgan Mandel said...

I loved playing dressup when I was a little girl.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

Morgan Mandel said...

I loved playing dressup when I was a little girl.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

terri said...

She is a crack-up! Love the pictures!

(Got your email & have been meaning to respond but have just had some busy days at work, finally! I'll get there!)