Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Rude Awakening

I "dozed" off last night, before midnight, while trying to watch Leno on the old tv.

Woke up around 3 a.m. by Kurtis fussing. I got up, changed him and as he seemed quite content then, put him back in his bed -the pac'n'play.

Because yesterday, I'd had a really bad sleep night -due completely to a certain little boy who woke up around 2 a.m. and didn't go back to sleep until between 6:30 and 7:00 a.m. and I didn't have the opportunity I had hoped for during the day to catch a nice cat nap, I was more than a little bit on the groggy side when Kurt woke me up this morning. So, I was quite relieved when he willingly allowed me to put him back in his bed this morning. He plopped himself right down, snuggling up to his favorite possession -his bear pillow -and appeared to be well on his way back to dreamland.

Since I was -as mentioned above -very groggy and because he's been having a few restless nights of late, I decided rather than go out and crawl into my bed, I would lay down on the sofa in the living room. I did that and within minutes -probably just seconds, really -I was asleep again.

However, just past 3:00 a.m. I had a very, very rude awakening.

I woke up to Kurtis, standing in front of my face as I was stretched out on the sofa and he was leaning in, getting his face about as close to mine as possible, and he was yelling at me - "CEREAL!"

Hmmm. Apparently the little guy had not gone back into a sound sleep as I had thought initially and apparently, he had managed to toss a leg up over the rail of the pac'n'play and thus, catapult himself up and over, on to the loveseat and to freedom!

This is not a good sign. No sirree Bob! The knowledge that he has no figured out an easy escape route from the pac'n'play and can now get out and roam the house, at will, is a very scary thought indeed!

I think I probably scared him a bit though when he yelled "CEREAL" in my face while I was sound asleep because I think I jumped a good bit, up from the couch.

He has now had a bowl of dry Chocolate chip cookie cereal as well as a bottle of milk too. He's back in his bed and finally now, I do believe I detect the sound of him snoring. He was only up and roaming around then for a little over 3 hours this morning. ARRGH.

But I do believe it might just be safe for me to hit the sofa again and catch maybe 20 winks before I will have to get up and get Maya ready to go to school today. Hopefully, she will sleep through Mandy waking Kurtis up in a little while to get him dressed and ready to roll to State College for a dental appointment she has for him this morning.

If Maya gets up before they leave, well I shudder a bit to think of that as it could very well bring on the mother of all meltdowns in this house by Maya.

Cross your fingers and prayer for the best possible outcome -Maya sleeping till about 9:30 and me getting a chick nap in there too then.


Morgan Mandel said...

I can only relate to that by thinking of my dog, Rascal. Whenever I think maybe I can trust her an entire day alone at home in the house, she does something like eating the stuffing from her comforter where she sleeps on the floor, or eating a rubber band. The poor thing never learns, so into the crate she must go each day. I think part of the problem is her deafness. She's probably compensating by using other senses more.

Morgan Mandel

Debo Blue said...

I have some sleep fairies on their way to your house. They should get there after Maya's gone and before Mandy gets back.

Smalltown RN said...

Ditto to what Debo Blue said...you certainly need some sleep fairies...

It certainly sounds like alternate sleeping arrangements for dear Kurtis might be in order....thank goodness you were close by. You know the implications of having a little one wondering around unattended.

My hubby at the young age of 2 1/2 got up and wanted some hot chocolate....so he turned on the stove...his PJ's caught fire....he was in critical condition 6 weeks and then spent another 3 months in the hospital...and all of his childhood summers in the hospital getting skin grafting....

Yes accidents happen....so I hope there is some way to find alternate arrangements for dear sweet Kurtis....

Hugs my friend....

Dianne said...

I haven't slept thru the night in weeks - pack up the kids and ship them here - I'm up anyway and I'll probably annoy them so much they'll beg to go home and sleep

my son used to escape from anything and everything - it was scary

Sandee (Comedy +) said...

Hi Jenn - I just wanted to share with you a most wonderful thing that happened this morning. In my Google reader your site popped up with 25 new posts. Your feed is working again. Just thought you would want to know.

As for the little one. I so remember these nights. I so remember.

Have at terrific day. :)

Betsy said...

Oh dear! It's always unsettling when you realize a toddler can get himself out of his crib/pac-n-play or whatever. Freedom...for him.(not you!)