Sunday, July 20, 2008

What To Wear - What to Wear?

David McMahon at Authorblog posts a "Weekend Wandering" question every Sunday in which he throws out a question and asks us to do a post on our blog about his topic of the day.

Today's question is this: Do you have an item of clothing that you haven't worn for more than a year?

And, my answer to that questiojn is I have a whole closet full of clothes I haven't worn in more than a year!

Actually, my closet if full of clothes that in many instances I haven't worn in oh, at least 5-6 years!

This isn't due to my being so fussy that if I have an item of clothing I won't wear if it is sort of no longer "vogue" or because I am tired of that item or that it has a tiny rip that needs fixed or anything along those lines.

My reason for having this entire closet, fully loaded, really, with clothes I haven't worn in a long, long time is because none of them fit me any more. Unfortunately it is not because they are too big for me cause if that were the case, I could always take them in then.

Nope, in my case it is because over the past five-six years, my once semi-svelte frame has expanded and done it in a "big" way too!

And you know, if something is too small for you, letting out seams isn't near as practical or easy to do as is taking a seam in.

Why then to I keep all these clothes, just taking up space?

Well, for one thing they are in an upstairs closet and I avoid the stairs as much as possible because I have a lot of difficulty going up and down stairs and I don't care to chance a fall and possible broken bones which would bugger up my system way more than it already is.

But besides that, I am also way to Scotch to get rid of these items simply because I am, in this instance, ever the optimist that some day I may actually begin to lose weight and they will once again fit me.

Yeah, in the words of comedienne, Judy Tenuto, "It could happen. It could happen."

And realisically, I would probably have to add "When donkeys fly" to that but who knows. I don't. And I'm not going to risk have to buy another whole new wardrobe when that great diet kicks in for me and I shed all this extra baggage too!

So now, I'm going back to my dream world of smaller sized clothing that's barely been worn, just waiting on me to shrink and dress up to the nines then!

5 comments:

Maggie May said...

That was a quick response!
I will be writing about my wardrobe later. Good post! You never know! You might get to wear it all again!

fermicat said...

You just reminded me that I need to clean out my closet and get rid of all that stuff I never wear! I started that process in May and didn't very far.

Sandee said...

I could have written this for sure. Sounds just like me. Well, except for going up and down the stairs. You made me smile for sure. Have a great day. :)

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Judy Tenutto! I had forgotten about her and her famous line, "It could happen" until you reminded me!

I used to hang on to everything, but when you live in a small house, you learn to purge all that unnecessary stuff. I find that I don't miss it nearly as much as I thought I would.

Sandi McBride said...

Oh my Jeni, me too! In fact I have my closet sectioned into 1960's (might be able to get my big toe in) 1970's (really don't think they're coming back into fashion, but who knows?) and 1990's...then there's Mac's closet where what I wear to day is bumping his stuff to the side lol...I'm afraid we're all guilty!
hugs
Sandi