Saturday, January 26, 2008

Heavenly Days (and nights)

You know that song "Heaven, I'm in heaven" -I have no clue who wrote it, who sang/recorded it and those are the only words to it that I recall right now too -but that's where I am now!

Well, ok -I'm still alive (at least semi), kicking (oh, not doing a high step, but walking anyway) and wow, am I happy now too!

Why? Because I am in "Cyber Heaven." I arrived at that place yesterday about 11:30 a.m. and I have to say it that having a broadband connection truly does put me into heaven - a cyber heaven.

The cable guy - no, not Larry, darn it - but a heck of a nice guy all the same- arrived here around 10:15-10:30 a.m. - not bad scheduling and following the company's time alert there, is it Dave? By 11:30, he had drilled a couple little holes in the floor behind my computer desk - guess that means this puppy will never get moved to another area of the house now, doesn't it? - and had the modem installed, had me all hooked up to the lovely world of a high speed internet connection.


By 1:30 p.m., I had contacted the help desk and had my new e-mail account set up and I started sending out mass mailing then to everyone in my e-mail address book to notify them of the change of address for me. I had asked everyone who received that mailing to please just click on the reply button and send it back to me so I would have some idea as to whether they had received the new address or not and throughout the rest of the afternoon and evening, I got lots and lots of e-mail from folks and many had some really nice comments with them too about how happy I was gonna be with this new -and way, way much faster set-up. There is absolutely NO COMPARISON of broadband to dial-up where the speed is concerned!

I was going to do this post last night and report in shortly before midnight to give everyone a run-down then of my first twelve hours on high speed, but frankly, I was exhausted by then, my eyes were going crossed from having read so much stuff online yesterday, and I crashed within five minutes of my head hitting the pillow on the couch!

So, how did I spend my first twelve hours anyway?

I read blogs - my favs - as well as lots and lots of recommended blogs from other blog favorites! I e-mailed, rather profusely too -responding to many who commented on how much I was gonna love the broadband thing. I got many of my really important other e-mail address changes done too - like to the bank, mortgage company, Verizon, etc. I even viewed four you-tube videos too!

The very first one was a video that my blogger buddy, Sunshine, had on her post for yesterday -a cute little puppet show thing pertaining to Harry Potter stuff. I think it played for about 4-5 minutes and all I could think of while watching it was that had I tried to download that with the old dial-up, it would have taken probably an hour or two before I'd have been able to view it. Instead, when I clicked it on from her blog post, it opened and began playing INSTANTANEOUSLY! Can you believe it?

You've all heard me mention a time or two - or ten - in the past about how I longed to be able to just click the mouse and the page would open then and there -just like it does on one of my favorite tv shows - Law and Order. Well, this was just like that! Incredible, isn't it?

One of my old pals from the Writer's Life group I belong to had sent me a video when she replied back to my e-mail address change notification and this video played for almost 11 minutes! Under the dial-up, to try to download that piece would either have crashed my system or it would have been sitting here, spinning away for the rest of the week to bring up a video that long for my viewing! And let me tell you this too, thank you so much Sandy for sharing that one with me. The 16-year-old and I watched it and howled, just howled laughing at "Achmed, the Dead Terrorist." Anyone who hasn't seen this -and can easily view videos -who would like to see it, just drop me an e-mail and I'll gladly point you in the right direction for loads and loads of laughs with that one.

Now, if I want, I can view the videos my buddy Saedel recommended on one of his recent posts last week (sorry Saedel, but I haven't gotten around to watching them yet), or when I have more time to spend playing with videos, I can go back through oodles of posts in the archives at Skittles place and finally be able to view her selections then too. Something I've had to forgo and skip over in the blog world in the past ya know.

Because of the ease and speed with which I could whip through reading my blog favorites on my reader now, I found myself adding more and more bloggers to my reader to add to my daily pleasures too. I must have added at least ten, perhaps 15 more blogs to my reader yesterday.

And finally, last night, I spent about 2-3 hours working on my research and because of the speed with which I can now open up those old newspaper pages, I was able to read about 80 pages of the old newspaper that I had "hits" on my search terms for - a task that would have taken me at least two days worth of reading to achieve with the dial-up service. I might actually now be able to finish my research there sometime in this lifetime now.

Is it any wonder that my old eyes were really tuckered out after a mere 12 hours of being in cyber heaven?

And now, I'm off to playing today - doing much of the same thing as I did yesterday and will no doubt be enjoying it even more.

16 comments:

Mahala said...

Congrats! The difference is amazing, I remember when we made the switch. It's like a whole new internet :)

Anonymous said...

High speed is wonderful. You caused me to think.. What the heck did I do before my first computer, and how did I manage to write in all those journals with a pen? Positively paleolithic.

fermicat said...

Wheeeeeeeee!! I knew you'd love it!

Anonymous said...

Speed! What a concept, huh? Congratulations!

Travis Cody said...

Yay for you!

And I believe your song reference is Cheek to Cheek by Irving Berlin.

Heaven... I'm in heaven,
And my heart beats so that I can hardly speak.
And I seem to find the happiness I seek,
When we're out together dancing cheek to cheek.
Heaven... I'm in heaven,
And the cares that hung around me through the week,
Seem to vanish like a gambler's lucky streak,
When we're out together dancing cheek to cheek.

Oh, I love to climb a mountain,
And to reach the highest peak.
But it doesn't thrill me half as much
As dancing cheek to cheek.

Oh, I love to go out fishing
In a river or a creek.
But I don't enjoy it half as much
As dancing cheek to cheek.

Dance with me! I want my arms about you.
The charms about you
Will carry me through to...

Heaven... I'm in heaven,
And my heart beats so that I can hardly speak.
And I seem to find the happiness I seek,
When we're out together dancing cheek to cheek.

Smalltown RN said...

I am so happy for you my friend...your glee oozes through your words....it is pretty exciting though isn't....look at all the doors that have now been open to you...yes it was Irving Berlin...you got hubby and I singing it.....happy cyber surfing my friend....

Anonymous said...

:P Do you know that I was all smiles while reading this post? I can definitely tell that you're uber-happy with your connection.

Congrats again! And happy lurking! ;)

-Saedel

PS. Hope you find time watching my selected videos. :P

Dave said...

Saedal said what I was and am doing, smiling. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Let the games begin!
Glad you are having fun. Maybe down the road a little you might like to try Flock browser, similar in a lot of ways to Firefox as it is built with the same code but has so much more. I find my satellite much faster but it does have times when it slows down, so it is not quite as fast as I would have liked.

Anonymous said...

Told you you'd LOVE IT!

Debo Blue

Linda Murphy said...

Congratulations! It is so fun with a fast connection-enjoy all the blog spots and research!

Rick Rockhill said...

yippee! glad to hear you are so happy. travis beat me to the lyrics. It's one of my favorite songs of that era.

Jeff B said...

zippadee do da zippadee a

she goes throught the net

Shelby said...

Hi!! Glad to hear happy happy happy stuff... :)

happy upcoming week.

p.s.. I LOVE that song "Heaven, I'm in Heaven.."

love love love

Linda said...

Not to say we told you so but WE TOLD YOU SO!!

Glad you're enjoying life in the fast lane!

molly gras said...

Ahhh, modern technology, what a wonderful thing.

Just don't forget to get outside every now and again and smell some flowers and feel the sunshine on your face (and the virtual variety -- the ambient glow of your computer screen -- doesn't count!)

Cheers to your upgrade

;)