Saturday, November 03, 2007

Short Takes on a Long Day!

I am whipped! Beat. Just plain tired and going to retire - hopefully in four minutes time - at 2 a.m.

The little guy is, surprisingly enough, sound asleep as I type - very carefully, don't let the keys click too much or it might awaken him and I sure as heck don't want that!

He didn't go to sleep all that early last night - maybe a little past 2 a.m. - and I heard him threatening to wake up around 6 a.m. but thankfully, he was able to roll over into another comfortable position and go back to sleep. Still and all, he had a very rude awakening around 9 a.m. because Mandy had to take him for a doctor's appointment this morning and they had to leave here by 9:30 the latest to be on time for that.

Maya must have had a really hard day at school - playing a lot that made her tired and on the crabby-appleton side then after she came home.

And I had things I had to do today too! Had to run to the store to pick up necessities to make the lasagne I promised fo the church bazaar dinner today now (Saturday) and I had to make another batch of bread as well. Got the candy out that I made in the middle of the night Wednesday nite/Thursday morning only to find that it still hadn't "set" right so it doesn't look too promising that it will be going out to the bazaar for the "candy shoppe" section. Just what I don't need here is more candy floating around for me to pick at!

Some days, when Mandy leaves for work, Maya is as peaceful as she can be. Other days, she may fuss for a short time and then can be distracted and revert to being pleasant again.

Suffice it to say, as I was cooking a big kettle full of the meat sauce for the lasagne, trying to get it ready to put it all together, etc., she decided this would be the ideal time, the best day possible, to throw a fit that lasted for close to 90 minutes!

Yes, 90 minutes of alternating between a whining cry to a full-fledge shriek/scream, and repeating over and over "Go get Mommy off the road?" I have no clue whatsoever what that sentence meant in the general scheme of things - other than it may have been intended to driving Grammy nutso-wacko and in that respect, she was pretty doggone close to achieving that goal before by some magical means I convinced her to lay down on the loveseat and by 5 p.m. she was sound asleep and didn't wake up until almost 9 p.m. tonight. My next worry was that from having slept that long she would want to be up half the night tonight too, but thankfully, by about 11:30, she was tuckered out -again - and went willingly up to bed and sound asleep in a matter of a few minutes.

And now, I'm seven minutes over the time I planned to be prone on the couch - my bed these days -unless someone else falls asleep there and then I relinquish my watch over the little guy for the night and head to my actual bed in my own little room!

It's going to be an early start in the morning for us to get the kids up and dressed, ready to roll out to the church with the foods I have made, to be able to look over all the goodies the others from our parish will have prepared and brought out too -and finally, to be able to sit down with some friends, neighbors, other parishioners over a nice meal and just relax for about 2-3 hours - if all goes well!

With Maya though - you never can tell how well these plans will hold together though.

Just cross your fingers and toes, get out the rabbit's foot and shake it for good luck on us and last - but certainly not least - pray for the best possible outcome!

Right? Right.


terri said...

Sounds like you had one long, extremely trying day. You must have the patience of a saint!

Patois said...

I am constantly amazed at your ability to function on such little sleep. And still be articulate as well!

Linda said...

Do you ever - ever? - get a full night's sleep? I just don't know how you do it as sleep deprivation and I do not get along at all!

lattégirl said...

Poor Maya! I guess she meant "make Mommy come back home." Whatever it was, it certainly upset her! Made me want to scoot down there and fold her up in a great big hug.

Can you email me some lasagna, please?

Saedel said...

Wow, 2am? I'm 31, and sometimes Im already KO'd by 10pm. When I was younger I could stay awake until 3am or 4, as long as I have a computer I can play with. :P

SnoopMurph said...

That sleep deprivation is a killer. Half the time, I conk out while putting the boys to bed and wake up a few hours later. Right now, it is 5:30am and I woke up at 3:30am because I fell asleep with the boys at 9:00pm. Vicious cycle.

Hope you get some shut-eye soon!