Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Short, Maybe Sweet?

Alright! I've posted the last couple of days but haven't included the regular "feature" item - as some of you readers may have noticed. (Some others may have noticed and thought maybe I had reformed and quit reading my daily calendar. Au Contraire!)

So tonight, to make up for lost time and to prepare for the future as well (translated, that means to "cover my butt" -which is quite a task in and of itself too) I'm going to give you the FULL treatment! Not only will I post the Bushisms I missed for Monday and Tuesday, but I'll give you the one for today as well as Thursday, Friday and the weekend ones!

How's that for a peace offering? Probably depends on one's opinion of DUBYA I suppose.

So, here goes!

Monday, July 9, 2007
"The public education system in America is one of the most important foundations of our democracy. After all, it is where children from all over America learn to be responsible citizens, and learn to have the skills necessary to take advantage of our fantastic opportunistic society." - Santa Clara, California; May 1, 2002

Tuesday, July 10, 2007
"That's just the nature of democracy. Sometimes pure politics enters into the rhetoric." - Crawford, Texas; August 8, 2003

Wednesday, July 11, 2007
"Well, we've made the decisin to defeat the terrorists abroad so we don't have to face them here at home. And when you engage the terrorists abroad, it causes activity and action." - Washington, D.C.; April 28, 2005

Thursday, July 12, 2007
"My pan plays down an unprecedented amount of our national debt." - Budget address to Congress; February 27, 2001

Friday, July 13, 2007
"See, free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction." - Milwaukee, Wisconsin; October 3, 2003

Saturday and Sunday, July 14/15, 2007
"It's one thing about insurance, that's a Washington term." - St. Louis, Missouri' October 18, 2000

And my comment to just about everyone of those is "How's that working for you?" (Courtesy of Doctor Phil there. Do ya think, considering he's a DUBYA supporter he would object to my plagerizing his terminology there? But, what's a person to do anyway. He also says we should "Get real" and "Ya gotta be honest" too ya know!

On a side note here - totally away from the Bushism stuff till next Monday now - we had a near calamity here over the past 24 hour span. Something went missing. Something really, really important to my peace of mind, to my mental stability, to my comfort zone -and a few other things pertinent to how I manage to function on a day-to-day basis. And no, it wasn't my computer that fritzed out on me either. Don't even THINK of something that atrocious. But this was a pretty close race to my computer - right behind my main staples in life - caffeine and nicotine.

What was this important thing that disappeared?

The remote to the living room TV - what else?

I kid you not, I went on a total - and I do mean TOTAL -search and destroy mission about 1 in the morning Wednesday morning trying to find that sweet little thing. I virtually ripped the living room apart - cushions off the sofa, love seat, chair. Combing over my desk area -which in itself is such a disaster zone ALL the time that it looks a lot like the outside area of a home here in town on the other side of the village that is in very dire need of a good healthy overhaul and mega trip to the landfill too. I even moved the sofa, loveseat, chair, tables - the baby's playpen though I left alone save to get down on the floor on my hands and knees to peek under there. (Taking a measure that drastic - me, getting down on the floor on hands and knees - is really risky too because I have to have something really solid then to lean on in order to heave my old stiff-jointed self back to a standing position.) That remote was no where to be seen!

When the step-granddaughter awoke this morning I jumped her first thing asking where the heck she'd put it yesterday. I hadn't seen it since early Tuesday morning as she commandeered it shortly after she woke up. Well, of course, she denied having ever touched it, claiming her Dad hadn't been able to find it either. So, naturally, the one who then was getting blamed for wherever the remote went was poor little Princess Maya.

When the son-in-law got home from work this evening and learned it still hadn't surfaced, he went on a more severe type of "S&D" mission - he and Mandy took the sofa and upended it so they could then search the bottom of the sofa. But alas - no remote. There was however a hair brush, a couple match box cars, a larger car toy of Princess Maya's along with oodles of crayons. (Also, no money found either - RATS!)

My older daughter, her fiance and the Prince (older grandson - age 10) were here for supper tonight and before they went home, Robert and Mandy upended the loveseat then. He was convinced he had adequately searched the nooks and crannies between the cushions and the back of the couch, etc., but Mandy - the one with a really keen eye it seems - spied it lurking in the bottom of the loveseat!

AH RELIEF! I could just feel the tension rushing out of my body. Seriously, I really could. I kid you not!

I am highly addicted to sleeping with the tv running all night long. I started doing that many years ago - oh, about 28 years ago now to be precise. Just about the time my ex-husband moved out for the last time! As a kid, I was always scared of the dark, thought for many years there was someone lying in wait under the bed who was going to reach out and grab my leg when I got in bed (used to take sort of a running leap there so as to not have my leg within reaching distance of that hand that I just KNEW was lurking under there!) And, by having the tv on all night, it's a soothing sound to me - like there's someone else with me, ya know, I suppose. That's my theory there anyway and I am sticking with it!

So now, just about everything here is in its proper place, my world has been righted and I can go to sleep sometime tonight a very happy camper knowing if I wake up periodically, I can pretty much have an idea of what time it is then too just by whatever program is currently playing on the tv. No need for a "bedside" clock that way, ya know!

And, although the stepgranddaughter protested - GREATLY - that she had nothing to do with the remote going missing (remember Sgt. Schultz from Hogan's Heros - "I know NAWTHING!"), I could disprove her theory that other people besides her sit on that loveseat. Yeah, but NOT ME! I camp only on the sofa and in MY chair, in front of my own screen -the monitor of my sweet, wonderful computer!

This particular scare to me ranked right up there on my "fright level" as did one my daughter had one night last week. Mandy was sitting at the computer; I was on the couch. (See, I told you before where I park my carcass, didn't I?) And suddenly, she pushed the chair back from the desk, let out a screech (almost blood-curdling) and jumped up in a mega state of shock with her hands waving and flapping about.

I asked her what the devil was wrong - thinking she'd perhaps had a moth fly around the screen of the monitor or maybe -horror or horrors, a spider might have crossed her path. Either one could bring about a major fright to her. But no, she's pointing at the monitor and yelling "A MOUSE! It's right there, under the monitor, with its beady little eyes staring out at me!"

Ok -time to break out the mouse traps again, by the looks of things!

What irritated Mandy though was the fact we have two cats in this place - an old lazy one and a young, very spring chicken kitten and both of them were curled up in the dining room, about 3-4 foot away from where Mandy -and said mouse -were meeting head on at that point in time!

Mickey (or Minnie) is still probably lurking about though because to my knowledge, no one has put out any traps over in the small area (little bitty open space) between my desk and the wall.

Ah, life is so exciting here now isn't it?

2 comments:

Smalltown RN said...

Well I am very glad you found the remote....what is life without the remote...I know my hubby feels the same way....he too sleeps with the TV on....I am not a big TV fan...so when he tries to watch TV in bed I roll over cover my head and say goodnight...he gets the picture and off goes the TV....

And what's up with cats...not holding up their end of the deal..goodness sakes....isn't that what they are there for?

Cheers my friend

Shelby said...

hate it when I can't find the remote.. well I don't hate it, but it is frustrating...

take care and happy Thursday :)