Tuesday, June 26, 2012

How Does The Garden Grow?

I think I've mentioned a time or two before that this year, as in the past 4-5 years now, I have planted a little vegetable garden in a plot in my back yard. I don't think I've posted any photos thus far this year of that garden though, have I?

So today, I decided I better get on the stick and give you a peek as to what's growing out there!

There's the stuff growing in my garden right now. I was amazed at how high the squash plants seem to be this year. Looking really nice and so far, no signs of those stinking Squash Bugs that decimated my summer squash last summer either!  I thought I added a photo here of my lettuce and onions but apparently it got zapped out in the transition. Darned computers, darned Blogger too at times, ya know.

Although either the deer or perhaps some rabbits have been coming in and feasting on the tops of my tomato plants as well as the green beans, it still hasn't stopped the tomatoes from beginning to sprout little flowers now too and the beans are starting to get traces of buds. Same thing with the peppers, as I've seen some blossoms on them too lately. We've been eating lettuce fresh from the garden for two weeks now and I really do love that fresh stuff!

It's been a bit hairy around here of late with lots of not so great things happening within the family, within some friends of ours around the area and from church but I'm not going to go into detail about any of that stuff today in the hopes that people will soon come to their senses and see the errors of their thoughts processes! Well, I can dream, can't I?

Mandy's going down to Harrisburg after work today to attend a concert someplace down there tonight with her best friend since Kindergarten along with the former girlfriend of my son (Miss Amie) and a special friend of Mandy's too. Hope all goes well for here driving down and back home tomorrow morning.

Daughter Carrie is coming up again this afternoon, going to take Miss Maya to her play practice tonight from 5 p.m. until 7 p.m. and I'm gonna be cooking marinara sauce to be used with tortellini that the kids said they wanted for supper tonight. So, if we're going to eat by 4 p.m. guess I better get on the stick, don't 'cha think?

Got word yesterday too that was very distressing to both Mandy and myself. Seems the guy who was her boss at the restaurant here where she worked for about 5 years was recently diagnosed with Mesothemolina -can't spell that worth a tinker's damn -but it's the cancer the lawyers are always advertising for people who have had that or a family member had it -caused by the asbestos stuff, ya know. The prognosis there is not good, not at all as hospice has already been called and he was just diagnosed a week ago today. Seems like every time we turn around here of late, someone else has just received a really bad diagnosis for cancer or some other dreaded illness and I sure would appreciate if news like this could someday be stopped. Just call and end to it all, ya know. Oh, would that I could make that happen!


2 comments:

Sandi McBride said...

Your garden looks wonderful Jeni...especially the lettuce. Love fresh lettuce from the garden. Cooking squash and onions in one pot and rattle snake beans (string bean type) in the other. Love fresh veggies for dinner. Sorry to hear of so much going on wth you, but buck up, things will return to normal, they generally do. God is looking out for you, I'm sure
hugs
Sandi

Maggie May said...

That is a really lovely little plot. Nothing like fresh veggie. Strange that the rabbits eat the tomatoes as every bit of a tomato plant is poisonous to them.

I also get sick of the big C we cannot escape it in our house, unfortunately. Wouldn't it be good to get a cure? Not likely any time soon, though we must live in hope.
Maggie X

Nuts in May