Thursday, June 03, 2010

What I Really Should Do!

I know I have had -and still have too -some bad habits that I should work on getting rid of them but somehow, I've just not got around to doing that as yet.

Oh, I've listened at least partially to my doctor about trying to watch my diet -at the very least -and getting a bit more physically active too, exercising and trying to lose weight.

I haven't been all that good about watching what types of foods I eat but I have been trying to at least cut back on the amounts I ingest and that, along with -especially along with this -walking the dog, usually every day for anywhere from a little over a mile to as far as almost five miles on a few occasions -and through those meager efforts I have now dropped 20 pounds in almost six months time.

Not a huge amount of weight lost, but hey, it's been better than doing nothing and feeling really miserable about my size and girth, etc., isn't it?

But one thing I really should pay more attention to and do something about is my smoking.

I know if I keep on with this bad habit it's just going to be a matter of time before I'm gonna need -at the very least -a portable oxygen concentrator and really, I have had over the past seven years, more than enough health issues, with more surgery now looming on the horizon for me too and I really do not want things to get this far out-of-hand or advanced with respect to health issues.

I have two relatives that I can think of right now who have to have oxygen running 24/7 and although it does beat the alternative there by having that kind of equipment, it still is a major inconvenience to enjoying life to the fullest, isn't it?

People who know me know that I tend to make wise cracks about my smoking and why I continue with this unhealthy habit. I used to tell people just make sure I have a carton of my favorite brand of nicotine in the casket with me so I have some to take along on that journey.

Back in the early 90s too, our former postmaster here in town got on my case one day when I went in to pick up my mail, bragging to me about how he had successfully kicked the habit and why didn't I try to do the same.

My retort then to him was that I knew "We're all going to die someday and since I'd already long ago figured out I wasn't going to die of an overdose of sex, that it may as well be from something I enjoy!" And yes, I did mean what I said to him back then. I kind of still do too.

But today, my priorities are different from what they were back then. I have something in my life now that means the world to me and you know, I'd like to be around as long as I possibly can now just for the sheer pleasure of watching them grow up.

Of course, those of you who follow my blog know I'm referring to my grandchildren -all three of them -but especially the two younger ones, Maya and Kurtis, who live with me.

No, this post isn't an announcement that tonight I am quitting or anything quite that drastic just yet, but suffice it to say, I am looking -again -into alternatives, methods I can try that might just be a means to a successful ending of this bad habit.

And if I can do that, then I guess all that will be left is for me to quit cussing then too!

Give up one vice, may as well at least work on getting rid of the other too! Then no one can say when Maya -or now Kurtis -slips up and uses what we refer to as a "red word" that they had to have learned that from me!

1 comment:

Travis Cody said...

I think 20lbs in 6 months is pretty dang good. Congratulations. If you keep doing what you've been doing, then in another 6 months you'll knock off another 20lbs.

It's not a pound a week, but most doctors I've spoken to have told me that losing a pound a week is unrealistic. So I think you're doing good!