Wednesday, August 08, 2007

SPECIAL BULLETIN: This Just In!

I received an e-mail today from a small, weekly publication from the town nearby - Philipsburg - in which the editor/publisher asked if I might be interested in writing a monthly column for this paper.

Here's the details: It would be about things that "catch my eye" in and around this part of the community, about 300-700 words, occasionally could even have a photo with it if it's pertinent to that particular column, mainly something that is just "everyday life" type of stuff. No compensation as it is a very small publication.

Now, here's my question to you, the readers of my drivel on my blog. Do you think I can do this?

Remember now, I didn't ask if you think I SHOULD do this, but rather, do you think I CAN do this? Keeping in mind the word limitation being put on it, CAN I trim my verbage down that close to the bone?

I didn't ask my daughter if she thinks I CAN do this. I asked her "Do you think I should?"

Her response was a solid "Oh, YES!" Till I pointed out the word count again to her. She thinks I can handle at least under 700 words. I'm thinking 1,700 might be closer to what I need! LOL

So now, all of you think this over and give me your thoughts about this "deal."

I also have to come up with a name for the column so suggestions there would very much be appreciated too. Another sticky point is that he says they would need a head shot to put in with the column's name and that might be as difficult to come up with as would be keeping the word count that low!

In the meantime, I'm going to put the old thinking cap on (and boy, is it ever old, raggy, rusty) and try to think of potential topics I could write about that wouldn't get me run out of down on a rail. (Lucky for me, we no longer have trains running through this neck of the woods!)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course you can do it! Hooray, hooray, horray!

crpitt said...

This is bloody great news! How the hell are you going to limit yourself to 700 words :)

Why not down river drivel for column title? or does it have to be shorter?

You have tons and tons of great stuff, so you could recycle it?

Berni said...

I just wrote a long comment, encouraging you to go for it and it is gone, just like that. I usually copy everything before I post it now because this has happened before but I didn't this time.

Anyway the gist of it was:

Yes go for it, you have the creative ability to observe small things and recreate them for your readers. You'll have to practice your precis skills though.

I find English authors generally to be more succinct than North American ones. I don't know if you read any. Hone up on the old dictionary skills, you'll have to find one word for two. Ha Ha, that should keep you busy!

This could lead to more Jeni, God bless you in it. I have no doubt you can it.

Anonymous said...

Yes, you can do it! You have a week to submit each piece, correct? That's plenty of time to come up with something and edit it!

Will be in the area this weekend for my family reunion. Will try to stop by Friday or Saturday. If one day is preferable over the other, let me know.

-Billie Jo

lattégirl said...

Yes, you can do it. Not only will it be good visibility -- and who knows where it could lead to -- it will also be a darned good exercise in self-editing. :) Which is not to mean you need that here on the blog; here, you can blurt as long as you want. But it will force discipline, which is good for any writer. Go for it!

Paula said...

Absolutely! I KNOW that you can do it, it will just take a little bit of practice to cut down your words. I'm so excited for you! You GO, Girl! Wannabe Writer, my butt, you'll have to change your profile now to "published author" heeheehee!

Smalltown RN said...

of course you can do it....consider it a personal challenge....I think once you get into the swing of writing the column that the word count will become natural to you....when I took my english course that was one thing they stressed...why say in 20 words what can be said in 10...you will learn to pick and chose when to expand and to use more verbage et al....what a wonderful opportunity for you....

on another note...I will email that pattern to you...I am half way through making the scarf....little errors at first but I think the next one I make should be good....cheers my friend...

Shelby said...

yes Yes YES YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!

HIP hip hooray!!!!

Do it do it do it do it.

it'll be fun! :)

you must you must you must!

(I'm fer it)

Anonymous said...

I would enjoy reading your column in this paper! I hope you do it.