Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Different Eras, Different Priorities

One thing I have noticed and been thinking about it a lot too lately, is the perceptions my kids -who are all adults now -and the priority they place on something that as I grew up, how I was raised, was something considered to be a very high priority item and that something was Life Insurance!

My Grandparents, with whom my Mom and I lived, were both very strong advocates of at least having some kind of life insurance and so was my Mother. And, as I grew up, I fell right in line behind them -believing that yes, life insurance is truly a necessity of life -not for me, not personally, but rather a necessity for those people we may leave behind.

But my kids -if I mention life insurance to them, they will give me a bit of lip service and agree that it's not a bad thing to have but well, they just haven't gotten around to actually taking out a policy, you see.

Sometimes, especially after the phone call last night from my son and with him so far from home, and worrying then about the dangers that could befall him, I think maybe I should do some research and compare term life insurance prices. Then it might not be a bad idea to do the same thing for my daughters as well and give them the information to mull over and see if they can't find something that would at least be in a price range they could afford today -and could build into it a bit more if their finances get in a better shape!

It is something that really is, in my opinion, the same today as it was when I was growing up -a very high priority item!

2 comments:

terri said...

Seems like people are in one of two camps on this issue. They either believe in owning life insurance policies, or don't at all. I have a good friend that refuses to consider it at all. Mark and I bought some modest policies way back when the kids were little and we're all covered to some degree.

Travis Cody said...

That's actually a good point. The way I figure life insurance is that I need to have enough to cover my end of life expenses and to pay off any debt I may leave behind. Since I don't have kids, I don't really need to carry all that much.

Another thing that seems less of a priority when you're a bit younger is setting up a Will. I have both a regular Will and a Living Will in case I ever become incapacitated and unable to make my own decisions about my care.