Sunday, October 24, 2010

An Alternative Meaning Perhaps?

My cousin phoned me tonight and we had a nice, fairly lengthy chat, comparing issues, problems, other things too, most of which though dealt with the chemotherapy she's currently receiving and my own chemo too.

At one point though, she started to talk about how she feels she's becoming a bit more forgetful or more easily rattled since she started receiving the chemo treatments. I laughed and told her about one of my favorite bloggers -Janine at Sniffles and Smiles -(who has walked in the same shoes as my cousin and I are now doing) and it is Janine's theory that chemo causes "brain drain."

Now, before anyone gets all hyper here about what I'm about to say (because I studied about this particular thing for my major in college), I'm thinking perhaps it would be appropriate to label this "chemo brain drain" thing along with the type of cancer a person has and refer to it as a dual diagnosis.

Just my own offbeat sense of humor trying to poke a bit of fun at a situation that often needs to have a whole lot of humor run through it in order to make it tolerable and help folks just to survive.

Well, that's my theory anyway and by gosh, by golly, I think I'll stick with it too. It's carried me this far and I'm counting on it to take me through the rest of the way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

:) Oh my gosh! I had that same thing! Chemo fog, they called it! I couldn't remember so many things, I stumbled and fumbled and felt like I was 100!
You have to find the humor - always.
God Bless you Jeni.

CiCi said...

I think you should call it whatever makes you laugh and what helps you get through the chemo. You always show such strength and I like you share your humor here too.