Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Sneeze, sneeze! Cough, Cough!

It's been over a year since this last happened to me and I was beginning to feel pretty darned self-assured, downright cocky, you might say because I had managed to evade a head cold for that long!

Sad to say, that little bit of a record came to an end Sunday evening when I began to notice the familiar kind of tickly-pain starting in the back of my throat. Nah, can't be a cold I told myself -just those stinking seasonal allergies, that's all it is.

I'll dig around in the cupboard and find some nice cold tablets I ALWAYS keep on hand for just these kind of emergencies and by Monday afternoon, this will be all gone. History, ya know!

Well all I found was a packet of Mucinex DM tablets -an over the counter medication that normally I swear by but this time, these tablets did nothing for me!

By Tuesday afternoon, my nose was running like a broken water faucet! My eyes -let's just say that reddish, puffy eyes don't look all that great, definitely not a good feature, ya know! Mandy did find some other cold tablets -the regular kind -and I started to take them but they barely seemed to scratch the surface of this cold!

And, to make matters worse, of course the weather also decided to make a change so if the watery effects I was seeing through my blurry vision inside the house wasn't enough, the outside world was one that also was very wet! And according to the weather reports tonight, it's going to get even wetter before a little dry spell takes place!

Wonnerful, wonnerful -as good old Lawrence Welk would have said!

Not even close, is what I have to say about this whole thing to which I quote Bill Bendix in the old Life of Riley series from the 50s -"What a revolting development this is!"

7 comments:

Sandee said...

Oh no! I hope you feel better soon. It seems as soon as the weather turns cooler everyone gets sick. I guess the only good thing is you won't be sick during the holidays. Just saying.

Have a terrific road to recovery. :)

terri said...

Blech. The inevitable winter cold. Advil Cold and Sinus is my drug of choice. You have to ask for it at the pharmacy, but it's well worth the extra effort. Hope you feel better soon.

Paula said...

You do not need a cold, young lady! Rest and take care of yourself. I'll be looking for some good news.

(I think I've got one too. So hard to tell when I sneeze and carry on all the time with allergies. Always takes me a while to figure out the difference. LOL!)

CiCi said...

Nice hearing the names of people from way back when. I had forgotten all about The Life of Riley. And I saw Lawrence Welk and danced to his band and when he built the Welk Resort I lived about fifteen minutes from there.

Sorry to hear you are down with a cold. I hope someone is making you chicken soup.

Suldog said...

Ha! I've been watching some DVDs of old "Riley" episodes lately, so your last line tickled me.

Sorry to hear about the cold. Rest, fluids, aspirin, etc. (you know the drill.)

Maggie May said...

Oh dear thats bad luck but I think its not so much the cold that is the awful thing but the lingering cough that sometimes goes on for weeks afterwards. Just wears you out & the attacks come at the most awfully inconvenient times, usually.

Hope you get over this one very soon.
Maggie X

Nuts in May

fermicat said...

Just stopped by to say hello. I hope you are feeling better by now!