Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Economic Insanity?

The more I try to figure out things with respect to the economy and economics and prices and stuff like that, the more confused I get!

I think back to when I was in college and the class I did the absolute worst in was Micro-Economics. I got a nice big fat "D" in that one! Didn't understand it then and I sure as heck don't understand it or anything about it apparently now either!

Prices for things -even around this area -are just ridiculous any more. Wages here are not near what they are in most other areas but boy, that doesn't mean the prices for things are lower or more affordable.

Yesterday, when Mandy had Sammy out for a walk, she was talking to a neighbor of ours and they got to talking about houses for rent.  (I have no clue what got them on to this topic but the neighbor told my daughter that in our little town, there is an old home -about like ours -that rents for $675 a month and also a three-bedroom trailer that rents for $575 a month.

Now, I know compared to rental costs for homes, apartments, trailers and the like in the big cities and larger towns and such, this would be considered to be cheap rent but around this area, where wages sure aren't very good, how on earth do people afford rentals like that anyway?

Things like this just totally boggle my mind!

I know one thing for sure, if I didn't have this old house, and had to rent a place, I'd never be able to find an affordable place to rent and also be able to pay utility bills on top of that too!

1 comment:

Sandee said...

My sons apartment costs him 975.00 per month. Way too high, but this is a pretty large city. I do understand what you are saying though.

Have a terrific day. :)