Friday, February 08, 2008

The Book Meme

Tonight, one of my favorite bloggers "Singing Owl" who writes an excellent blog "The Owl's Song tagged me for an unusual meme -called the Book Meme.

Here's the instructions: including who tagged Singing Owl for this meme too:

Dr. Platypus has tagged me for a book meme. Hey, this is fun!


Pick up the nearest book of 123 pages or more. (No cheating!)


Find Page 123.


Find the first 5 sentences.


Post the next 3 sentences.


Tag 5 people.

I don't usually do many memes, but this one appealed to me -probably because it looked easy and interesting, I love to read and just happened to have the book I am currently reading laying here, atop my printer.

So, here's my contribution to this meme:

The name of the book is “Sula” by Toni Morrison.

Page 123 – The first paragraph contains five sentences. So, starting with the next three sentences:

She was pariah, then, and knew it. Knew that they despised her and believed that they framed their hatred as disgust for the easy way she lay with men. Which was true.

And, I am supposed to tag five others. So I'm trying to remember who are the most voracious readers among my bloggers and hoping I remember this right too, here goes. I tag the following:

Barb at Skittles Place - If she hasn't found a place to buy her books wholesale yet, she should, cause she always had bunches of books she was or is reading!

Shelby at Time With Shelby Yeah, she's even got her current book mentioned on her blog today!

Terri, the Lattegirl at Inner Dialogues - who has a bloggers book club on her sidebar!

Another Terri -of Terri, Terri, Quite Contrary - who likes to buy books in bulk at times too!

Vic Grace at Cariboo Ponderer - Who I know sometimes likes to get into reading some really deep, spiritual type readings among other things.

There you have it - my choices, my current piece of reading material as well. Oh, and I received 8 of the 9 books I just ordered this past Monday from Barnes & Noble today (the 9th book is intended for my older grandson so isn't necessarily my type of reading) plus I just picked up two books at Walmart the other day too for part of my daughter Mandy's birthday present -she'll be a big old 32 come Monday of next week! So, now I have restocked myself and Mandy too in new books to read. It's something she and I both love to do as does my older daughter, Carrie! P.S. my ten-year-old grandson is off to a good start in the reading theme as he is already showing that he is really MY grandson, his Mother's Son and his Aunt Nephew because he loves to read just like we do! Isn't that super though?

Take a trip around the world and never leave your armchair when you pick up a good book!

6 comments:

Barb said...

I see I'm not the only one still awake at this ungodly hour.

That author sounds very familiar.. I think I've seen her mentioned in one of my magazines. I may have to go lookin'! :)

lattégirl said...

"The rent baby, the rent."
"No! Cut that out - this fellow is different. I took him for the twenty five dollar transfer fee, but that's all. That's final."
"Really? You're sure?" He looked at Rosita steadily, still smiling, until her gaze wavered.

(The Fourth Horseman at Miami Beach, by Albert Halper.)

Anonymous said...

Fun AND Easy! I'm in! Thanks for the tag!

Shelby said...

This one sounds fun :)

Thanks - I'll get after it this afternoon or tomorrow..

take care! and happy early weekend.

Theresa said...

You had quite an interesting 3 sentences, looks like a turning point for the character.

fun meme.

:)

fermicat said...

Thank God you didn't tag me this time. I'm sitting next to a statistics book. (No, I'm not in school anymore. I drug it out last night to crunch some numbers to prove a point to someone about an erroneous conclusion they drew about some election data. I'm a major geek sometimes.)