Monday, July 23, 2012

An Alternate Addiction?

I'm sorry to say that my latest attempt to stop smoking cigarettes seems to have gone down the tubes -at least for right now anyway.

I know I should quit but just can't seem to get the good incentive needed to do that embedded deeply enough within me at this point in time I guess.

I've been trying to think of alternatives I could try -like maybe checking out Davidoff and try weaning myself off cigarettes by switching to cigars. Maybe?

Probably not the best idea I've ever come up with, is it?

Or perhaps, I could try calling a lady who is a psychologist and who advertises that she does hypnosos for smoking cessation. That's about the only method I haven't given a shot to -well that and acupuncture is another way some people have succeeded in cessation of smoking.

If she doesn't charge an arm and a leg and the whole darned farm, maybe one of those route would be a good method for me to try!

Gotta do something, that's for sure!

4 comments:

Suldog said...

I've known hypnosis to work for some folks. My step-sister's husband quit that way. It didn't take for me, but it's definitely worth a shot. I like the new design you have here, by the way.

The Curmudgeon said...

I quit over 25 years ago. That one stuck (if I've fallen off the wagon since, it's no more than a handful of individual cigarettes). But before I successfully quit, I quit hundreds of other times, sometimes more than once a day. It's like a lot of other things: If you focus on the immediate (I'm not going to smoke right now) you have a much better chance of success than someone who takes the long view (I'm quitting forever starting now).

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

Like Sully, I know some folks who had some success with hypnosis.
Having a real desire to quit is a big help. I stopped a little over four years ago. I hesitate to say I quit because this is the second time (the first was for six years). This time around I was totally ready to stop because I was only enjoying them about once in ten cigarettes, if that. The hardest part was getting past those "trigger " moments when I was used to lighting up, like with a cup of coffee or sitting on the euphemism.

Anonymous said...

Do you remember the Twilight Zone about quitting smoking? One uy asks the other how he quit and he refers his friend to a "can't miss' program. To make a long story short, he finds out that if you break your promise not to smoke, they send someone who cuts off one of your fingers. At the end of the show, the two guys are having a drink in a bar. Both no longer smoke and both have several fingers missing on each hand.

Want the phone number? ;)