Friday, March 20, 2009

Coming To An End

We all know that old saying don't we that "All good things must come to an end," right? Well, tonight something is coming to an end here within my family.

Thursday morning, my son and his partner reported in to the terminal in Hagerstown, MD where they operate from, only to be sent home because the company had no loads there this morning. They were told to report back next Tuesday as they wouldn't have a run for them until then.

That's a blow few people like to hear because most folks today do operate pretty much payday-to-payday. Oh, you can maybe manage a week with no pay so it's doable but it still hurts. And, you know, in the world of truck driving, things like this do happen once in a while and you just have to suck it up, tighten the old belt a bit and such.

So, that was one issue today.

But now, things have changed completely.

My daughter, Mandy, just left the house at 2:42 a.m. to go to Woodland to the State Police barracks there and pick up her dear, sweet brother to bring him home.

My son finally managed to do just what Mandy and I have been telling him, predicting to him that this would happen if he didn't wake up and change his merry ways of living.

He got picked up tonight by the State Police for a DUI.

I have no idea at this time where he was picked up, much less what his BAC is/was at the time. I'm sure I'll find that out in short order.

I just hope he has given a lot of thought leading up to this as to what he will do for a form of employment now since he as a CDL license and a DUI means automatic forfeiture of said license -not for 30 or 60 days -but that type of license, it means kiss it goodbye for life.

Which in turn for him means end of livelihood too then!

Some of you who know me a bit better than just through my blog know that this has been a pretty constant concern of mine, of Mandy's too, with him. And for the past two years since he began driving tractor-trailer and was making these long runs, often coast-to-coast, know that when he was driving, working, was about the only time his sisters and I didn't really worry about him that much -other than the usual one does worry about anyone driving.

But on the days he would be home, we have worried constantly then that sooner or later he was going to push that envelope just a tad too far and over the edge it would go.

And now, it has all come to a head -and an end -for him.

And that's the end of this story for the night.

16 comments:

Jenn said...

I am so sorry to hear about his DUI. Personally I would have let him sit his rump in jail over night. You and Mandy are much kinder then I.

HalfCrazy said...

I am sorry to hear about the lost of his license. I really have no idea what a DUI is but I believe this isn't the end for him. I mean, he's got you, Mandy, in other words, family, to get him back on track. It might take a while but he is gonna rise up. Someday.

Rune Eide said...

Very sad to hear and very difficult without resorting to platitudes. But you have all my sympathy and good wishes, for what it is worth.

PS Thank you for the very nice comment - don't hesitate to comment also when you DON'T appreciate my pictures! That is when I learn.

Sunshine said...

I'm sorry to hear it. It's hard to have a loved one that you know is a victim of their own bad choices. I have a brother I worry about that has been on a bad road for some time (his scrape with supreme bad decision making was a drunken bar fight which led to spending the night in jail and an assault charge - terrific) but, this sounds crazy, our grandfather's death this past fall shook him up and he's on a better path.
My hope is that the support of family will help at your house too, it's hard to see somebody you love continue to fail when you know they can do and be better.
(((HUGS)))

Kat said...

He sounds very much like my brother. My bro got TWO DUIs and was then fired from his job because he needed to travel (by truck) for his job. It really sent him on a downwward spiral, and he is only now pulling himself out of it.
It was a long road, but a wakeup call that was much needed.
I hope your son does not need such a harsh wakeup call as my brother received (it was life-threatening), and is able to turn the situation around for the better. Somehow.

It just never gets easier being a mom does it? No matter how old your children are. You just worry about different things.

Prayers for your son and your family.

Diva's Thoughts said...

I can not believe he would drink then get behind the wheel. I really hope things work out for him. I really do.

Keith said...

Hey Jeni,

I am really saddened to hear this. But...this may be a GOOD thing. You know my story and you know I've been there and done that.

Sometimes we have to hit bottom before we can get back up. Maybe this is your son's bottom. This may force him to re-think his drinking habits and get the help that he may very well need.

Support him if he chosses to get help, but do not enable him should he choose to continue his downward spiral.

On a positive note...thank God the State Police picked him up before he killed or injured himself or others.

I can tell you that through the years of my alcoholism I drank and drove a lot. Fortunately I never hurt anybody in an automobile accident. I did however hurt my family and friends because alcoholism affects ALL of the people in the abusers life.

I pray for your son's wake-up call and that he chooses recovery.

Peace!

Linda said...

Oh no ... well, maybe this will be the wake-up call that he needs to realize that drinking and driving is something that can not only get you in big trouble but can get someone killed. I know a lot of guys at work who drink something awful and think they're just fine to drive and that really gets me as these cars are EMTs and KNOW better!

I sure hope this works out for the best but I get the feeling it's going to get worse before it gets better. Hang in there!!!

Sandee said...

I'm so sorry honey. I've got a son too that's riding the roller coaster from hell. I know they have to hit bottom before they can travel back to somewhere normal. I so hope this happens for your son now. I'm praying honey. For both of our sons.

Biggest hug ever. :)

none said...

I'm really sorry to hear this.

My best friend has had 3 DUI and he was able to be acquitted on all of them..it just cost him about $15,000 each

I sure hope your son uses this experience to turn his life around.

Travis Cody said...

Dang. That's going to be a really tough life lesson to have to swallow, especially in this economy.

lattégirl said...

As Keith said... (and thank you, Keith) been there, done that, hit rock bottom - more than once. For some people it starts with loss of livelihood, but if he continues on his path, it can lead to sadder, worse rock bottoms. Let him know you are there for him but don't enable.

dr sardonicus said...

Jeni, I hate to hear this. Unfortunately, many things in this life have to be learned the hard way. I hope he can get a handle on his situation and that he finds another job soon.

LoieJ said...

I hope this leads to positive changes. That would be the best for you all. My 25 year old son just left after visiting for a few days. He was free to be here because of unemployment. He worries about a friend who drinks, but at least that person takes a cab when he drinks.

terri said...

Jeni, I'm so sorry to hear this news. I know how much you have worried about Clate and how this was one of your worst fears. There's only so much you can do, and you did your best to try to make him understand the repercussions of this very situation. As parents, we want to protect our kids from all of life's problems, but sometimes we have to let them learn the hard way, as difficult as that is. He'll be in my prayers.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.