Tuesday, July 08, 2008

The Case of the Cross-eyed Blogger

Normally, I do try to read all new posts on my reader within a given day. Sometimes, I get behind because of events going on around here - computer problems perhaps, too many doctor visits and not enough time, a trip out-of-state too for a couple of days. Ok, sometimes it is also because too many others want to have mega amounts of computer time and I can't get them shoved out of my chair, away from the keyboard. Sometimes it is also because I'm just procrastinating, being lazy, tired -whatever.

Today though, I have only read maybe 8-10 new posts on my reader and I have been here all day, had clear accessibility to the computer -that is until about 4 p.m. when Mandy returned home from picking the 16-year-old up at the school since the bus that carried her and her fellow band members down to Florida (to Disney World to march in the 4th of July parade there) and back had returned home with all the kids intact.

No, today I received a package delivered by UPS around 11 a.m. containing the nine latest books I had ordered from my most favorite web site - Barnes and Noble! After showing the new acquisitions to Mandy, and even though I currently have two books I'm "actively" reading as well as two other books I am not very "actively" reading too laying about, I picked up one of my new books and sat down at the kitchen table to start reading it.

I put it down a couple of times throughout the day to go get a fresh cup of coffee, make a sandwich, run to the bathroom from time to time, cook supper and even had to stop to clean up a nice mess (NOT) that Maya had made as she decided to "bathe" not one, but two of the kittens. This time, she used a scrub bucket Mandy had left sitting between the living room and dining room -still half-full of dirty, soapy water (Tide was the bubble inducer) and Maya dunked the kittens in there, splattering water over half of the dining room floor and about a quarter of the living room floor. Had to run and find some towels and try to dry those poor defenseless babies off, snuggle them a bit, warm them up too, ya know. I swear, if my son-in-law ever does something again in front of Miss Maya that she might decide to imitate - like bathing cats and kittens -I'm gonna leave the mess just sit until he comes home from work and let him clean it up!

ARRGH!

But back to the book I picked up and began reading now. The name of it is "Bitter Harvest" and it was written by Ann Rule. And by 1 a.m. now, I had finished the last page of it -read all 482 pages between 11:30 Monday and 1:00 a.m. Tuesday -with only the minimal amount of interruptions - as noted above -for those minor tasks -with the exceptions being rescuing the kittens and running to the bathroom.

I'm a big fan of many of the police show type dramas on tv - Law and Order generally being my favorite but I also like the programs on the A&E network - City Confidential, Cold Case Files, American Justice and the like. I also like a lot of the books written about various crimes - can't think of the names of them now but several of these were made into movies - some for the Lifetime network, etc. You probably know the type of books I'm referring to there, don't you?

And this book I read today -WOW! I was totally mesmerized by it! I absolutely did NOT want to put it down unless I absolutely had to do something else at the time!

I'm not sure if I've read other books by this author - Ann Rule -I kind of think maybe I did read "Small Sacrifices" but not sure about that one. You 've all heard me mention now and again too I think that Mandy and I are both big fans of Jodi Picoult and that I have now read all the books she has done. And, I'm sure, if she comes out with another book, I'll be right there, in line to purchase it too, hot off the presses.

But, after reading this book today, Jodi Picoult is gonna have some stiff competition now as I'm gonna be going after trying to purchase as many books by this auther -Ann Rule - as I possibly can.

If you like to read true crime/drama stories, and if you haven't already read this one I finished today, go - get a copy and try to find a place where you can read, non-stop, uninterruped! You won't regret it.

Well, the only thing I regret is that now I am somewhat cross-eyed, I do believe, from reading that much in one day!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for the tip! Since I also love Jodi Picoult and have read EVERYTHING she has written, I trust your judgement. I'm going to need some reading material when I'm on my leave, so I'm putting this one on my list.

Another one I keep hearing is phenomenal is "The Shack" by William P. Young. Went to pick it up at Borders on Sunday and there were none in stock.

But don't you just LOVE a book you can't put down?

Minnesotablue said...

Jeni: I love ann Rule. The first book I read by her was the Ed bundy story. She had worked with him very briefly at a crisis counseling center. She is able to gain great access to all of law enforcement.
I also love the same reading as you do!

Sandee said...

I do the same thing with my favorite authors. Whatever they write I purchase. I haven't read any Ann Rule though. Perhaps I should. Have a great day. :)

Linda said...

Woman, you have got to learn to pace yourself or you are going to wear your eyes out!

I wish I could say I only had a couple of posts in my Google Reader to catch up with but alas, I had well over 100 again today to try to clear out.

The problem is, I can't sit for too long and read or comment or my back locks up on me again. Sitting is definitely NOT the best thing for lumbar back issues. I guess I need to learn how to blog standing up!

Suldog said...

Nothing so delicious as sitting down with a new anticipated book! Good for you!

Shelby said...

love love love getting new books and devouring them!

Travis Cody said...

I had a similar experience not too long ago with a book. I enjoy Jim Butcher, and I had his book White Night. I started it about 9am and kept right on reading through until I finished it at about 2am.

I don't do that a lot. In fact, I hadn't done it since the last Harry Potter book!

Anonymous said...

I think that getting books in the mail is perhaps one of the best things. My uncle Greg and my Aunt Judy send me the most wonderful books and whenever I see something from them in the mail -- well it is just instant joy.

Have a blast with your new reads. Guess who finally made another post? I know. I'm terrible!

Blessings!
Lacy

Berni said...

I will have to look out for Ann Rule I don't believe I have read any thing by her. I have been reading a lot lately. I seem to be having a dry spot again for blogging. There has not been anything worth blogging for money about either.

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

NINE new books....aaahhhhh!

Ooh, poor little kitties--I couldn't help but grin even as I was feeling sorry for the poor little things, and for you as well.

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Ooh I love a book that does that to me. Well not so much the cross-eyed thing, but I think you know what I mean ;)

Thanks for the recommendation; I love books like that as well :)

Maddy said...

That's the trouble with readers [I use google] When I returned from England it was full to exploding, big pressure!

Cheers