Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Emerging Talent

There's a politician in the works in the family!

No, I haven't seen Maya or Kurtis doing anything that might show they have an early inclination towards serving the people through our government but who knows, perhaps many years from now, it could be possible.

I'm referring here to the grandson of one of my cousins. He's been interested in politics since he was about eight years old and now, at the ripe old age of 15, he's starting to show this side to more than just family and close friends.

Last week, he had a letter to the editor published in our local newspaper. He stated in this letter than although he's only 15, not old enough yet to register and vote, he is declaring himself as being a Democrat and a Clinton supporter no less. But the letter wasn't intended to try to drum up support for her or anything like that. Rather, it was addressed to the other students in our local high school as well as students all over, that he would like to see them take an interest in the political scene. At least learn about what's happening, who's running for election for what seats, what their goals are and of course, for the young people to have a better idea of what is needed in the country today and in the future.

As I read his letter, all I could think of at the time was how proud my one uncle especially would have been had he been around to see this. He might not have been to crazy about the party or his candidate choice (my Dad's family has always been pretty straight Republicans) but my Uncle Arch had been involved in county politics back in the 40's, 50's and 60's, as County Commissioner for several terms, Prothonotary for a few terms too and had even ventured out to try running for State Representative from our district once as well. (He was defeated in that election.) I said for many years the only Republican I would ever vote for without a question about his integrity and goals was this particular uncle of mine. (I have on a few occasions over the years, I will confess, voted for a stray Republican at times although I generally lean towards the Democrats.)

I hope my young cousin's letter and the message it contained may possibly have touched someone else and gave a little "lightbulb" moment of realization that learning, taking an interest in the electoral process is a very important part of life, of maintaining our freedoms, our government, our society today and in the future. Congrats to Pj for a really great letter!

Now, at home, we have noticed some more potential for an emerging artist or home interior decorator perhaps. Here's the artist - you probably already guessed it was Maya, didn't you?

And here's her latest bit of handiwork! She's always trying to find new materials to work with. However, considering how much her Mother hasn't been overly appreciative of her efforts to adorn the walls in the house, be thankful you weren't here when Mandy discovered this masterpiece on the loveseat cushion!

Yesterday -and again today -she decided she needed to perk up her own body a bit too. Sorry, but I have no photos of her talent there. But she used lovely marker and for some reason, apparently has a thing for the word "Happy" as she printed it, in big bold marker, on her legs, yesterday and again today. Today, she also colored the entire sole of her right foot with black marker and the palm of her left hand too. Looks fantastic. (NOT!) But then, it is perhaps better than drawing on the walls, the sofa cushions and stuff like that, isn't it.

Gotta pick our battles here I guess.

I'll go for the body painting at this stage of the game. Bathing a child is a whole lot easier than scrubbing walls or couch covers, ya know!

10 comments:

Smalltown RN said...

That is great to see young people showing an interest in something other than video games....good for him....maybe he will encourage some other teenagers to speak up or at least become more aware of the political environment in which they are growing up in....

As for your budding artist Miss Mya...that's a tough call trying to find a balnce between creativity and saving the furniture.....good luck....

dr sardonicus said...

I'm glad to hear your cousin is taking an interest in politics. He might be the one who solves the world's problems some day. That is, if Maya or Kurtis don't beat him to it.

Suldog said...

It's always good for young folks to take an interest in politics. As you may know from perusing my archives, I once ran for state representative in Massachusetts, so I am always heartened to see someone that young who is decidedly NOT apathetic.

(As a Libertarian, I find his choice of candidates less than appealing, too, but at least he has a choice, and I applaud him for that.)

Anonymous said...

I'm always impressed with kids who strive for more than the norm. Your cousin is going to do big things, I think.

I was also impressed with Miss Maya's body decorating ideas. Interesting that she wrote the word "happy" on her legs. There are days I'd like to write the word "cranky" on my forehead!

Minnesotablue said...

How great is it that a fifteen year old has shown an interest in politics. I must add that my grandson also started showing that same interest at an early age. Hw spent a lot of time with us and always wanted to watch CNN. He is a Obama fan and I understand he bores his friends to death with political talk

Celebration of Life said...

Hi Jeni! Thanks for stopping by my blog and for commenting. Please come back anytime.
Jo

Shelby said...

That is awesome that a youngster is already interested in very important things.. Very promising for all our futures, that young ones are ready to debate ideas. love it.

fermicat said...

You are a patient grandmother, with regards to Maya's "artworks". Hoo boy. I don't know how parents and grandparents do it sometimes.

Beth from the Funny Farm said...

The story about the drawing reminds me of a freshly painted empty living room. Done. Stand back and admire the walls. Walk into the kitchen. Come back. A HUGE BLACK LINE AS HIGH AS THE CHILD COULD REACH AT THE TIME. ALL THE WAY AROUND THE ROOM.

Travis Cody said...

I think it's fantastic for that young man not only to take an interest in this national election, but to also encourage his peers. After all, they will be an important demographic in the next Presidential cycle.