Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Sometimes You Eat The Bear....

Last week was really one of those weeks when you say to yourself things like "Is this mess ever going to end" or use the line in my title "Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you. And sometimes you both go hungry!"

Translated -it all just means that it was one of the worst weeks of my life, for sure!

I can't go into mega detail here what happened, but suffice it to say, it was very difficult for me -for my son and younger daughter and I -along with a few others too -to deal with.

And it all started with a cat!

A friend of Mandy's had a cat she and her husband had rescued and she was looking for someone to take the cat in permanently. Mandy checked with her older sister and Carrie agreed to take in the cat. So on Monday last week, Carrie came up to meet Mandy's friend's husband and pick up the cat.

She then stopped by my house to show Katie and me how pretty this cat is. And yes, she is very, very pretty -black and brown with white paws. The black is the predominant color and the brown is just some big blended splotches on her.

Anyway, Carrie asked if I had a pet carrier to put the cat in to make the trip down to her house. Unfortunately, I don't have a pet carrier as we generally borrow one from our neighbors on the few occasions when we have had to take the cat to the vet or otherwise some place away from the house. '

However, I did have an overabundance of big cardboard boxes -from all my Avon orders, ya know -and told Care to put the cat in one of those boxes, close the lid and the cat would ride safely down to her house that way.

She, however, decided she didn't want to do that and insisted the cat would be okay in the backseat of the car. And so, off she went!

She stopped mid-way to her to run in a grocery store there and picked up cat food, kitty litter and a litter box and when she returned to the car and went to place this stuff in the car, the cat -of course -escaped!                                 

Sadly the cat has not turned up since then! Although Carrie put up photos and flyers about the missing cat, no one has contacted her that "Socks" has been found.

Then, last Wednesday night, Carrie decided she wanted to go up to where the cat had gotten away from her and look around some more. In the process of doing that, she went over to the big truckstop restaurant there and was going to go in to use the restroom but she had an accident. She slipped on some ice on the step, fell and broke her left wrist!

And from there throughout the remainder of the weekend -I can't go into more details but the bottom line now is that Carrie is home, out of the hospital and hopefully, beginning to mend!

The weekend was a very full one too as on Sunday evening we had our big event at church -a Vespers service paying homage to St. Lucia -the patron saint of Sweden -and had a beautiful, as well as very delicious pot luck dinner! We had a very good turnout for this event this year -one of the largest we've ever had and the service was especially beautiful as well as quite solemn too!

So, things did end a bit on a better note then with that.

Care was to go to the doctor today to have a cast put on her arm. I'm just hoping and prayer for her that this will heal properly and that she won't end up having a lot of problems down the road with her wrist!

The next week is going to be a very hectic time now too as I will have an Avon order arriving here on this Thursday that I will have to deliver within the time before Christmas Day! Not looking forward to all that much racing and chasing, trying to track customers down plus trying to get a little baking done for the season and also, wrap Christmas presents! My energy levels are definitely not up to par these days!

And I still have to do the job I deplore the most pertaining to Christmas -write out cards and drop them in the mail!

Every year for the past 5-6 years at least, I have told myself I was not going to do Christmas Cards this year but here I am, with two boxes of cards to sign and address and that's no easy task because I haven't updated my address book in several years so have to go on a search and destroy mission then to locate the current address for many of my friends!

Just praying now that things will settle down a bit -actually settle down a whole lot is what I'm praying for, truth be told. But with my kids, my family odds are not in that favor.

I think, at this point in time, I'm in the "Bear eats me" phase of that saying.

Peace to all and to all a good night and please have a safe, but very Merry Christmas with wishes for everyone to have the Happiest of New Years too!

God Jul!

4 comments:

Along These Lines ... said...

I might eat bare, but never THE bear.

Kat said...

Well, I do know some of the details of what you left out of this post and I must say I can understand why it was so hellish. I am glad that week is over and I hope it just gets better from here on out.
Wishing you and your family peace this holiday season.

Maggie May said...

Sad about the cat. Poor thing.
However, there are lots of things going on here and I think that you are going through a very rough time.
Hope things improve ........ especially with a new year coming up.
We have to be hopeful.
Maggie x

Nuts in May

Finding Pam said...

Helping a stray cat is one of the best things a human can do. Your heart was in the right place, so was Carrie's. Maybe someone will find this cat and take it in.

Happy New Year to you.