Sunday, July 14, 2013

Little Boys Are......

There's lots of things that could be written, I'm sure, about little boys and what they do, what they like, what they love.

When my son was a youngun, he had his ways and likes, to be sure but one thing that stood out with him was his love for cars. Cars, cars and more cars -whether they were matchbox variety or larger models then as he got older, he did take an interest in building model cars too. Oh, and he also -like many boys do -loved trucks too. Any kind of truck type machinery and he was head over heels in love with it.

He also happened to have a sort of destructive streak too at times so his Dad and I frequently shopped at the Tonka counters in the toy stores as they seemed to do the best job of holding up under the kind of pressure Clate could put on those things.

I remember one year at Christmas, we were looking for a Tonka something or other for him and trying to find something he didn't already have. Along with that stipulation, we were also looking for something that appeared to be the most durable of the trucks they had too.

Finally, after a lot of thought, we settled on getting him this nifty looking bright blue tow truck as we figured it looked like it could definitely take the kind of abuse we knew Clate would be dishing out with it.

Much to our surprise though a week or two after Christmas, I noticed the windshield in the tow truck was gone. So I questioned Clate about that and what had possibly happened to that item on the truck.

He then informed me that he had knocked the windshield out himself.

"Why," I asked him, "Would you want to do that anyway?"

His answer -"Because that's the only way I could get my Weebles people into the cab of the truck!"

I saw his point -didn't particularly like it but I saw it, understood his problem then too.

Moving forward now oh a couple of decades -3 and a half I suppose -to the things Kurtis can do and get into and some of his shenanigans really frustrate the heck out of me.

Take this for an example!

These were a fairly recent acquisition of Kurt's -very nice sneakers and I especially liked them too because they went on easily and had no ties to fight with either. Apparently Kurtis wanted to check them out for mud bogging or something or other! They never did come clean from all the mud encased on them!

The biggest difference here between my son and my grandson I do believe is that Kurtis does seem to have more of an affinity for being a potential model for Charles Shultz's "Pig Pen" character though!

No comments: