Thursday, February 22, 2007

A New Leaf!

I've been kind of "lost in space" here the past couple of days it seems. Been doing things but getting nothing much accomplished it seems and also, having several "senior moments" to top it all off!

I'm still - after almost two weeks now -learning stuff with and about this new computer. I did get some instructions the other day from Tomcat about how to do a "work-around" for one issue I'm experiencing here but I haven't had the courage to try to figure out exactly what all to do to use his instructions there. I'm not very good at understanding ANYTHING if it has the least amount of computerese language in it!

Today, my little princess presented me with yet another challenge on my computer! Isn't it strange how a 3-year-old can just barely tap something -like some key or the mouse -and create little problems for someone in their 60's to then try to figure out and correct? In the blink of an eye, she managed to reconfigure my toolbar at the bottom of my screen and it took me the better part of at least 45 minutes to an hour to get things back to almost normal again! See what I mean about doing things and yet, getting very little accomplished then in the process?

I can hardly wait to see what will happen here once the little prince gets his bearings, starts walking and I will then have two little sets of fingers to deal with after they manage to wreak their own brand of havoc on my computer - along with the ripping and tearing up that two toddlers will be able to do on the rest of the house too! Oh yeah, I'm really excited about that prospect too!

I have been trying this past week now though to get back to working on my "research project" on the new computer though. I have a subscription to Ancestry.com mainly for access to their historic newspaper database because they have a fairly extensive file there of old papers for the local (county) daily newspaper covering from 1913 up through 1976. I also have a similar subscription with Newspaper Archives but I don't like to use it because it is poorly organized and searches there often return a kazillion duplications and makes it very difficult to track if I have already found a particular item and transcribed it over to my word document files.

The purpose in that research is to "hopefully" be able to compile a record of some type that would be useful to people doing family tree type research and whose roots are to this geographic region or also, it would be of interest too perhaps to those, like myself, who just like to read about things that happened here and the people who once populated the region. But, judging by the volumes of articles I have transcribed just about my hometown here, trying to edit those word documents I have built now is going to be one mammoth task!

I did finally get one thing accomplished today though that was a step in the right direction. I finally called Wise Eyes and made an appointment to get my eyes checked and get a new pair of glasses - something of which I am really in DIRE NEED! March 7th is my big date to take care of that checkup and ordering new frames, etc. Should be interesting to see how much of that expense my insurance will cover too. LOL

Because I got really behind, had a senior moment yesterday and forgot to do any posting whatsoever then you all get to read two Bushisms (again) today! One for yesterday - February 21st and then, today's snippet as well!

February 21, 2007
"The war on terror involves Saddam Hussein because of the nature of Saddam Hussein, the history of Saddam Hussein, and his willingness to terrorize himself." - Grand Rapids, Michigan; January 29, 2002

February 22, 2007
"It would be helpful if we opened up ANWR {the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge}. I think it's a mistake not to. And I would urge you all to travel up there and take a look at it, and you can make the determination as to how beautiful that country is." - Washington, D.C.; March 29, 2001.

Have a good day now!

No comments: